PDA

View Full Version : Just pulled the trigger on this one

FraKo
Dec-17-2012, 5:26am
http://www.thomann.de/it/harley_benton_hbma_50_mandoline_bk.htm

with such a price I guess I can't go "wrong". It's my first mando (or second, since some 30 ys. ago I plucked a devastated 19th century mando that belonged to my mother's grandma).
It's got the truss rod, and I guess I'll be able to set it properly, as I use to do with my gutars and basses. Thanks, once more, to Rob Meldrum who sent me his precious set up guide.

I'll let you know as soon as i receive the pack, Merry xmas to me...

Pete Jenner
Dec-17-2012, 6:09am
Huh? You shot it?

FraKo
Dec-17-2012, 6:16am
Huh? You shot it?

I simply ordered it, last Friday. Actually, I've been hunting for a while, and when i saw there was a rebate on the black-finished version... BANG!!!

Pete Jenner
Dec-17-2012, 8:16am
Oh I see. ;)

FraKo
Dec-17-2012, 9:03am
The only risk is that it may sound rather dead AH AH AH

(anyway, I'm pretty excited, more or like Snoopy awaiting his Valentines)

FLATROCK HILL
Dec-17-2012, 9:09am
It looks like a real beauty! Enjoy!

The ad calls it the 'Bluegrass Edition'. I'll bet you can still play Innamorata on it if you want to though.:)

FraKo
Dec-17-2012, 9:12am
May I confess that I'll play Country Blues + some Bach on it? I know, this may strange if you look at my nationality, but...

Jim Garber
Dec-17-2012, 9:15am
Strange combination of woods... I realize this is a German site and maybe it lost something in the translation.

Harley Benton HBMA-50B K, Bluegrass Series, A-Style mandoline, spruce top, basswood body, teak neck, rosewood fretboard,

Basswood body? Teak neck? At that price i am sure it is all laminates. Frako: what happened to your great grandma's mandolin?

FraKo
Dec-17-2012, 9:46am
I'm SURE it's plywood... I don't care, I'll go for an upgrade in case I desire something better (soundwise). My goal is to have a playable mando, after resetting of course.

That ancient mando fell on the ground some decades ago, and would need to be glued on the back. That apart, the most strange thing is that the top is not varnished, lacquered or even finished in any way: so that the wood nowadays looks and feel like old balsa, that almost collapsed. This said, that old Carlo Loveri (a family brand from Naples that STILL EXISTS!) still keeps in tune. One dasy I'll consider to restore it, but I guess that it will be only sentimentalism, since the actual value isn't that big (I saw some identical Carlo Loveri "twins" sold on ebay around 3-400 Euro), so that it's not worth the expense, I'm afraid.

FLATROCK HILL
Dec-17-2012, 9:52am
May I confess that I'll play Country Blues + some Bach on it? I know, this may strange if you look at my nationality, but...

It doesn't seem strange at all. At least not any stranger than the fact that I'm working on Torna Surriento and Veini Su.

FraKo
Dec-17-2012, 11:23am
Psssst...

Torna a Sorriento
Vieni su

:)

great to hear this

Jim Garber
Dec-17-2012, 11:39am
That ancient mando fell on the ground some decades ago, and would need to be glued on the back. That apart, the most strange thing is that the top is not varnished, lacquered or even finished in any way: so that the wood nowadays looks and feel like old balsa, that almost collapsed. This said, that old Carlo Loveri (a family brand from Naples that STILL EXISTS!) still keeps in tune. One dasy I'll consider to restore it, but I guess that it will be only sentimentalism, since the actual value isn't that big (I saw some identical Carlo Loveri "twins" sold on ebay around 3-400 Euro), so that it's not worth the expense, I'm afraid.

Those old Neapolitan mandolins often did have very little or no top finishes. They were also built incredibly light. Personally, would restore it -- if there is a crack or two on the back, that should not cost too much. I have quite a few of those Italian mandolins and are quite fond of them.

FraKo
Dec-18-2012, 3:12am
There's some generic glue applied on the crack edges, and I would try to remove it. Probably they're traces of a bad attempt made by someone who didn't use wood glue at all. Just wonder... maybe some buffering with cotton wool+naphta could be the right tool? Once removed, I guess that a few drops of a good wood glue could fix it.

Last but not least, the nut (i'm pretty sure the original one is ivory) should be replaced, as well as some (plenty) mother of pearl segments of the binding.

Here ae some Carlo Loveri mandos similar to mine (in better shape, I must admit):

http://www.mandolinluthier.com/loveri_family.htm

FraKo
Dec-19-2012, 6:25am
WoW

my black baby has arrived!!!

:)

Kerry Krishna
Dec-19-2012, 6:41am
And And And??? Were are the Photos????

FraKo
Dec-19-2012, 7:52am
as soon as I get a camera. I'd say not before Xmas.

that little back thing needs some tweaks, a full set-up... and a gallion of lemon oil!