PDA

View Full Version : No Depression

Dave Caulkins
Jan-16-2005, 10:30pm
Its a bit surprising to me that no one, including me, ever seems to bring up the mostly underground alternative country movement. Maybe I haven't been looking very hard, but there is a definate use of mando (perhaps not of virtuoso proportions). The movement hasn't died, and country music really needs to find truth again...

It's actually the closest description to what my band does personally, and probably represents what I'm happiest doing regularly on mando or guitar. I really enjoy jazz, classical, and bluegrass but the players up here for those styles are less common. I'm lucky to have fairly open minded players who are willing to stretch boundaries...

So anyone listen to Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown, James McMurtry, etcetera and so forth?

Dave

jmkatcher
Jan-16-2005, 10:48pm
It's why I started playing mandolin and it's mostly what I play today. The first real song I learned to play was Son Volt's "Windfall".

mad dawg
Jan-16-2005, 10:49pm
Yes to Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown. Don't know about James McMurty. I also enjoy Wilco, the Jayhawks, pretty much any Jay Farrar project, mandolinist Jimmy Ryan , Blood Oranges (w/ Jimmy Ryan), Cheri Knight (again with Jimmy Ryan), Old 97's, and Emma Gibbs Band all come to mind as favorites in my CD collection.

What alt.country bands are you familiar with that have a mandolin as part of the main lineup? #(Please share, I haven't purchased any new CDs for a day or two. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif )

jmkatcher
Jan-17-2005, 12:06am
How about Dave Alvin's "King of California"? A really great album. "Blue Wing", one of my favorite tracks, is very heavily mandolin based.

Professor PT
Jan-17-2005, 1:24am
Now you're talking my language. I really love Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, The Jayhawks, anything with Ryan Adams...that's the stuff I keep coming back to, the stuff that never seems to leave the CD changer in my car. I'm working on some songs in that style right now. Jay Farrar is playing down here in San Diego this Wednesday, but I have to teach that night. I've never seen him and was hoping to go. I guess convincing my students that it's a creative writing field trip would be a stretch! As for mandolin use in these groups, I've always thought the Jayhawks could use it more than they do( the bass player actually plays mando; maybe that's why ). For those of you who are fans, Gary Louris is doing a tour with Mark Olson over the next few months( many Midwest gigs ); I guess Olson finally figured out that his voice is kind of annoying on its own! Who knows what this means for the future of the 'Hawks; I personally feel that it's been good to have Gary Louris explore the different sonic possibilities of the band beyond the first two albums.

Dave Caulkins
Jan-17-2005, 10:15am
I've heard a bit of Alvin on XMs Progressive Country station, pretty good stuff. I've been listening to Frogholler a bit lately, some mandolin lurking in there. Not everyone considers McMurtry to be Alt., but he is a damn fine songwriter. I love the Blood Oranges, probably the best mando in the insurgent bands. Too bad they are no more.

I'm psyched and worried about the Son Volt reunion, as it is an all new band other than Farrar.

Another artist I recently started to listen to (wish I had earlier) is Hank Williams III. Not for everyone, I understand, but having been a metal guitarist for a while I like the cross-over.

Yay! Somebody else listens to this great stuff!

Dave

mad dawg
Jan-17-2005, 11:02am
I too like Hank III -- pretty cool stuff.

As for mandolin use in these groups, I've always thought the Jayhawks could use it more than they do
There's an idea for a thread: "Bands that should have a mandolin in their lineup."

Spruce
Jan-17-2005, 12:11pm
I thought you might be talking about the magazine....

Love that rag...

luckylarue
Jan-17-2005, 12:25pm
I agree, one of the best music magazines out there.

mad dawg
Jan-17-2005, 12:26pm
Agreed -- No Depression and Paste are my two favs.

Wova4
Jan-17-2005, 4:58pm
I'm a big fan of several groups and artists who record on Bloodshot Records including Old 97s (alumni), Robbie Fulks, Neko Case, and the Meat Purveyors. The Meat Purveyors' Peter Stiles is a fine mandolinist IMO.

I noticed there was an endorsement on the Mid-Missouri Mandolin website from Michael McCandless who plays fiddle for Hank III's band. Maybe we'll see some more mandolin in the future from them.

mad dawg
Jan-17-2005, 5:24pm
Aren't The Driveby Truckers* also on Bloodshot? (*Recommended listening: tongue-in-cheek a la SCOTS, but with more of an alt.country vibe)

clopez
Jan-17-2005, 7:42pm
I'm a big McMurtry fan. Great Texas songwriter who's been able to not sound country and still be considered alt-country or Americana. Dave Alvin rocks. He's buds with Tom Russell, another great songwriter. I prefer Farrar's stuff to Tweedy's, but you can't go wrong with Uncle Tupelo, IMO. Can't go wrong with Steve Earle or Robert Earl Keen either. There's mando floating around in most of those guys' records. Lots of great artists in this genre. Some are more country than others, for better or worse. Is alt-country the same as Americana? Guess it depends on who's talking/writing. Not that it matters, really.

Crowder
Jan-17-2005, 7:48pm
Uncle Lightnin' at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004RD86/qid=1106012569/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3600922-3423203?v=glance&s=music)

I used to play in such a band, the link above is the Amazon page for the album we did while I was with them. It was always fun to play live with that line up, lots of styles and lots of room to improv on breaks.

X Country on XM plays a great selection of new traditional country.

Crowder
Jan-17-2005, 7:50pm
How about Dave Alvin's "King of California"? #A really great album. #"Blue Wing", one of my favorite tracks, is very heavily mandolin based.
Fantastic album, I also enjoy Blackjack David, similar style from Dave. The best stuff he's ever done were these albums that Greg Leisz helped him with. Of course Greg Leisz makes just about everything he plays on special.

Crowder
Jan-17-2005, 7:54pm
Other great artists mentioned here are Robbie Fulks and James McMurtry. I've had the pleasure of seeing both live, McMurtry at a festival and Fulks at a coffee shop (with an electric band). Fulks had a GREAT electric guitar player with him, I'd like to track him down. Used a Strat, and could mimic a pedal steel using the whammy bar and volume knob in an incredible way. McMurtry played an acoustic/electric guitar run through a half-stack electric guitar amp....it was different and cool.

mando bandage
Jan-17-2005, 8:21pm
Can't go wrong with Steve Earle or Robert Earl Keen either.

Two of my favorite songwriters for mando friendly music. I learn as much as I can of both.

R

jmkatcher
Jan-17-2005, 8:28pm
Fantastic album, I also enjoy Blackjack David, similar style from Dave. The best stuff he's ever done were these albums that Greg Leisz helped him with. Of course Greg Leisz makes just about everything he plays on special.
I've been doing "Evening Blues" off Blackjack David. Really nice on either acoustic or electric mandolin.

mad dawg
Jan-17-2005, 10:02pm
Cool stuff Crowder; I just added your CD on my Amazon wish list.

I just thought of another related act featuring mandolin: The Gourds. They are a quirky band with a sense of humor and country feel that features a mandolinist and an accordianist as their frontmen.

Non mando content, but I also really like Calexico's instrospective and seemingly Tex-Mex-inspired music. Their last full length CD, Feast of Wire, is in constant rotation in my CD-changer.