PDA

View Full Version : calling mandobird owners

bjc
Jan-16-2005, 8:32pm
Hello,

Just wondering what people have done to improve their mandobirds? Pick-up changes, pot changes etc...I haven't done anything to mine, other than setting it up...but it does seem to have a little too much high end (which I can roll off)...just curious as to what other owners have done...thanks

Pete Braccio
Jan-20-2005, 2:34pm
I just had a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup installed. That made the sound much better, but I don't know if it is still good enough.

The guy at the music store who put it in did an experiment with a guitar pickup held over the strings. The mandobird wailed with the guitar pickup and was much lower in volume with the quarter pounder. I guess that's what happens when you try and use a bass pickup with low mass mando strings.

Pete

Trip
Feb-04-2005, 12:18am
Local luthier took mine apart and tested pots and caps and just as an experiment, soldered in a different cap and it did seem to make the tone control more sensitive....but my E string is getting very little love at this time, since it is so shrill...I just find myself using the A string much more....and have been thinking about restringing it starting with the A string in place of the E.....D in place of the A, etc...

Yellowmandolin
Feb-06-2005, 12:25pm
Is the finikyness of the pickup a common problem on these mandobirds?

Spruce
Feb-06-2005, 1:21pm
A good EQ is very useful for any electric mandolin....