PDA

View Full Version : New Camera...gots to know

G_Smolt
Jan-16-2005, 3:52pm
Olympus Stylus 410 Digital...

Not exactly high in the geekisphere of digital photography, but it works great as a travel camera. How 'bout some mannlin beauty shots?

The L. Hughes twins...#20 on left, #22 on right

G_Smolt
Jan-16-2005, 4:00pm
#20 (on Left) is Engelmann / Red Maple, radiused board, slightly different arching dimensions than #22, which is Red Spruce / Red Maple, flat board, loar-spec carving.

I was told by Larry Hughes that his intent was to mimic a Nugget with #20, and a Loar-Era Gibson with #22...

Bob A
Jan-16-2005, 5:22pm
Nice pics, nice tigerstripes. So, how close did he come to his goals?

Skip Kelley
Jan-17-2005, 7:10am
Nice pair! I think you could get into trouble saying that to some people!! Great looking mandolins! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

G_Smolt
Jan-17-2005, 3:46pm
Thanks...

Having only played 2 Nuggets and 2 Loars (handling and playing them with extreme care), I don't think I am in a position to judge the closeness of the reproductions...

I will say that #20 is definitely a "modern" sounding mando, very crisp and responsive, whereas #22 has a darker, "harder" tone.

I asked Jeremy Lampel (StrungOver) to play #20 at WGrass a few years back, and after a few seconds asked to buy it if it was ever for sale...He also said it was a shame I didn't let him play it before his set, as he would have liked to play it onstage. Incredible picker, btw.

I took that to mean he sorta liked it... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

siliqua
Jan-19-2005, 12:33am
ML, good suggestion from elsewhere on the board - put a loop of 2mm accessory cord through the strap knot and around the tailpiece. Cheap insurance against the endpin coming adrift...

Is that the camera that you had when you were here?

G_Smolt
Jan-19-2005, 1:18am
Good Idea...

I had an endpin pop out on stage last week. Luckily, it happened as I was reaching for my beer...and as any good picker knows, you always hold your mando AWAY from the beer, which means I had a light grip on it and it didn't make the .31 second, 4 foot, $2000 fall to the floor.

I fixed that one (happened to the CE Ward) by lickin' the endpin and giving it a quarter-twist while reseating.

And yep, one and the same camera...pretty good pictures.

mandopete
Jan-19-2005, 9:49am
Mark,

I think you need to post a "family" picture over on the groupings thread.