PDA

View Full Version : How to hold the pick for different playing styles??

Sondrew
Dec-07-2012, 4:58pm
Hi guys:)!
I´ve been playing mando fo a couple of years now. I believe I have a quite loose wrist, because I´ve also done some crosspicking and try to always focus on this! I have hold the pick between thumb and first finger, with the finger pointing directly at the center of the pick (little curving and on the flat side of my finger). A little weird thing, is that when I tremolo, I angle the pick backward (because of a curved thumb). I´ve now worked for some time with the fingerbuster book and tried to gain some speed, I´ve also tried to angle the pick (and the mando upwards) to the front ala Marshall. Although becoming some better, my speed an techique is not good enough. And I think I have found the problem:disbelief:. To better controll the pick, I need to curve my first finger and "thighten" my wrist some, and hold the pick more to the side of my first finger. This helps a lot for controlling my right hand, because upstrokes are also more controlled/ no flexing and tighter pick locking (I believe:confused:?). I´ve just now discovered this, and have to start working on this way to hold the pick. But I also noticed, I will not have the same free moving ability to move my wrist, i.e for crosspicking, shopping etc. Do I need to change my grip for different playing styles, or should I try to find a technique in between this two styles?
Do some of you guys have any views and tips on this:confused:?
I am really confused now....
It would help me alot, before adjusting my right hand technique...

Thank you for your help,
Sondre

AlanN
Dec-07-2012, 5:09pm
I hold the pick the same way always and pickaway.

Pasha Alden
Dec-07-2012, 10:48pm
Hi there mando players
I assume there are tips or a document that will assist with different picking and right hand technique? Something like a book for playing the mandolin? Or some lessons or instruction?

Best Vanillamandolin

Mike Bunting
Dec-07-2012, 11:07pm
[QUOTE=Vannillamandolin;1111128]Hi there mando players
I assume there are tips or a document that will assist with different picking and right hand technique? Something like a book for playing the mandolin? Or some lessons or instruction?

Best Vanillamandolin

NmagoBQunZI

Tom Wright
Dec-08-2012, 12:27am
The majority of players angle as does Marshall, but a significant minority use the reverse angle, John Reischman on mandolin, George Benson on guitar among others, if I recall correctly.

I use reverse angle because, for me, it yields the best long stroke for tremolo on chords or fast chord strumming across many strings, but I also play quite flat for crosspicking, and sometimes angle forward for fatter tone. I characterize reverse angle as more like writing or drawing, and forward as more like using a drumstick or mallet, in that the former is much finger action and the latter has more wrist motion. Maybe because I play a bowed instrument I like the lighter grip of reversed angle. I tried the standard grip and never got much facility. You can get the same fat tone with reverse angle if you angle a lot, using your curved thumb.

Sondrew
Dec-08-2012, 7:08am
Thanks for answers:)!
Vanilla, sorry for my opening frase, ofcourse I meant fellow mandoplayers;)!
The Mike Marshall video is really something, and it sums up a lot of the important features. Although, as said the angle is a bit weird for my personal taste for tremolos. It was interesting to read about your playing style Tom, I believe we have the same way of playing. And as you say, reversed give a lot more fingeraction! This is really helpfull when chopping, tremoloing and crosspicking and as you say it also give a fat tone! But, this kind of playing is not ideal when doing fast runs ala Grisman etc. I found it much more controlable with the standard grip.But how often do you need this speed? Depends on your style and music I believe.
I think I will try the standard grip for some time, just to see if I can be able to do tremolos etc over time, and develop my speed. If not, I´ll stick with the old reversed way of doing tremolos. Ahh, not easy this:disbelief:!

Pasha Alden
Dec-09-2012, 4:01pm
No problem with the Opening line. <smile>
Best with the technique Sondrew. Of course it interests me what works best for some and what works best for others. It almost sounds like bow upwards or downwards for the violin.
Is this a case of different strokes for different folks? (pun intended)

Take care all and happy mandolin strumming

Vanillamandolin