PDA

View Full Version : Teens Gibson Tuner Cost

sonnyjammer
Dec-01-2012, 11:28pm
I would like to replace the non-original tuners on a 1917 A model with a set of originals, What is the going price for a set of originals in good shape ?:confused:

JFDilmando
Dec-02-2012, 3:56am
You can find handels for anywhere from $350-$450 or so....
Non handels for somewehre in the $150-200 range I would think... folks better in the know should chime in on this

mandroid
Dec-02-2012, 5:55am
These are made to serve that function, so you don't have to wait at the mandolin morgue for a fatal damage tuner donor.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Mandolin_tuners/Golden_Age_Restoration_Tuners_for_A-style_Mandolin.html

pfox14
Dec-02-2012, 10:10am
Since they are not original to begin with, why not use replacement tuners from StewMac? A lot cheaper than finding period correct tuners and certainly a lot less expensive than finding Handel tuners in decent shape.

lenf12
Dec-02-2012, 10:55am
A friend was having a mid teens F-4 restored a few (maybe 8 or 10) years ago and she was insisting on using Handel tuners. She asked me to be on the lookout for a set which I found on eBay. She ended up paying $600 for the set, albeit they are F style so a bit more expensive than A style but.... The economy was healthier at the time too.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Ray(T)
Dec-02-2012, 11:11am
As others have said. Get the relic ones and nobody will know they're not original.

The only point at issue is whether whoever put the non-original tuners on the instrument altered the hole spacing to accommodate them. In which case you may have difficulty reverting back to the originals.

allenhopkins
Dec-02-2012, 6:15pm
Did Gibson's "A" and "A-1" have Handel tuners? I thought they were only on A-4's, plus F-2's and F-4's. I had a 'teens A-1, with original tuners I believe, and they weren't the inlaid variety.

Then perhaps putting Handels on other than those higher-end models, would be "improving on original"?

BBarton
Dec-02-2012, 9:03pm
I believe Allen is correct -- Handel tuners only on the A-4s, F-2s, and F-4s (and equivalent 'dolas and 'cellos), and only up to and including 1917, although there was some spillover into 1918.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Dec-02-2012, 10:48pm
The only point at issue is whether whoever put the non-original tuners on the instrument altered the hole spacing to accommodate them. In which case you may have difficulty reverting back to the originals.

That's actually a great point to consider. At least on a couple of A-Jr snakeheads I've had in the past, the original grommets have a smaller diameter than newer modern ones, so in order to install a new set of tuners, the holes on the headstock would have had to be enlarged. This may make going back to original tuners rather difficult without additional work (plug and redrill).

mandroid
Dec-08-2012, 5:51pm
old style looking bushings, too : http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_parts/1920s-style_Tuner_Bushings.html

Ken Waltham
Dec-09-2012, 3:43pm
Your mandolin would not have had Handels on it. If you need a pair of period correct tuners, PM me offline.
Ken