PDA

View Full Version : Care for National Mandolin

droylance
Nov-30-2012, 11:04pm
Does anyone know the care instructions for a National RM1-V mandolin?

http://www.nationalguitars.com/instruments/rm1-v/rm1-v.html

Michael Eck
Nov-30-2012, 11:39pm
I don't mean to sound snarky, but the best way to care a for a National (new or old) is to play it until it gets all funky and weird looking and then play it some more. That's what I do to mine (6 strings, tenor, mandolin and ukuleles).

There ain't nothing like a National!

allenhopkins
Dec-01-2012, 2:03am
Not quite sure what you're looking for. "Care" of the National should resemble care of any stringed instrument: keeping humidity in the 40-60% range if possible, avoiding temperature extremes and abrupt environmental changes (warm to frigid, humid to dry, etc.). Wiping down the finish when it gets gooky, using appropriate string gauges, perhaps a bit of tuner lubrication now and again.

The one differing characteristic of a National, or any resonator instrument, is that the sound comes from a very thin aluminum disc -- the "resonator cone" -- located under the coverplate. To avoid rattles, it's very important that the cone be properly seated in its place, and that it not become warped so that it doesn't evenly contact the lip on which it sits. Excessive string tension (too-heavy strings) and actual physical damage are the main culprits in cone warpage.

I would contact the National company directly and see what gauge strings they recommend for the RM-1. From other Cafe posts, I understand that they're pretty responsive to owner inquiries.

They aren't great spellers, though: the specs and options list mentions "mother-of-perl" and getting a customized "sheild" insignia on the mandolin. Not to be snobbish, but a little proofreading goes a long way.