The back
The black dots are the bolt heads holding the neck on

Graham McDonald
Jan-15-2005, 9:38pm
An oblique view of the soundboard
Binding is rosewood - quite fun bending around the inside of the scroll

MANDOLINMYSTER
Jan-15-2005, 9:45pm
Very, Very nice, keep up the good work http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jasona
Jan-15-2005, 10:01pm
Good job!

Bill Snyder
Jan-15-2005, 10:46pm
It looks great.
Is this your own design or did you get it from another source? I have seen other mandolins with similar neck to body joints, but they are still not very common and I am curious about them.

Graham McDonald
Jan-15-2005, 11:44pm
It looks great.
Is this your own design or did you get it from another source? I have seen other mandolins with similar neck to body joints, but they are still not very common and I am curious about them.
The neck attachment is an extension of the way I attach bouzouki/cittern necks. There are two threaded inserts in the bottom of the neck and washered inset into the neck block which is what the machine bolts are bearing on.

The rest of it is some inspiration by John Monteleone, f-holes from a guitar I liked the look of and a head suggested by a pic of a mando Dan Tyminski had on a CD cover!

grandmainger
Jan-16-2005, 4:45am
Lovely! I really like the finish colour and the shape of the f-hole... traditionnal yet unusual! Very nice!

Spencer
Jan-17-2005, 8:05am
[QUOTE]The rest of it is some inspiration by John Monteleone, f-holes from a guitar I liked the look of and a head suggested by a pic of a mando Dan Tyminski had on a CD cover!

That would be a Flatbush V-5. Thought it looked familiar.

Spencer

grandmainger
Jan-17-2005, 8:14am
Do you have a close-up photo of the rosewood binding? It looks very interesting.

Skip Kelley
Jan-17-2005, 9:00am
Cool mandolin!

Ken
Jan-17-2005, 9:29am
Classy! Especially like the binding and the shape of the sound holes.
Ken.

Lee
Jan-17-2005, 9:34am
Very nice! Another vote for those F-holes; and an excellent scroll too. Tho my eye tells me an assymetrical headstock would be more appropriate.

Graham McDonald
Jan-17-2005, 3:03pm
The back scroll with the rosewood binding

Doug Edwards
Jan-17-2005, 10:09pm
Beautiful, very, very nice. I really like the looks of the binding. The bridge is pretty cool also. Is it your own design?

Graham McDonald
Jan-18-2005, 12:15am
The bridge is very much modelled on the Red Henry ideas about mando bridges.

And an assymetrical headstock is certainly being worked on. Just have to find the right lines

Thank you for the kind words.Steve Gilchrist, Mike Compton and David Long will be here for our National Folk Festival at Easter, so I have them lined up for some feedback