PDA

View Full Version : who made this mandolin

shezts
Nov-30-2012, 11:39am
Hi,

Can anyone identify the maker of this mandolin?

I bought it in the early 90s from an instrument maker working in Santa Fe, NM, but I can no longer remember his name. It was quite a while ago. I'd be grateful for any help.

Here are the images. It's solid body, 5 strings. As you can see there's a triangular logo, which I imagine must have been his trademark. That is what I hope someone will recognize.

Thanks

Shezts

EdHanrahan
Nov-30-2012, 12:08pm
LOTS of triangularity going on there!

Is that a tiny letter "Y" in the upper right of the logo? The whole left-center of the logo looks like an asymmetrical "Y", as well. Does "Y" trigger a recollection of the builder's name?

shezts
Nov-30-2012, 1:30pm
LOTS of triangularity going on there!

Is that a tiny letter "Y" in the upper right of the logo? The whole left-center of the logo looks like an asymmetrical "Y", as well. Does "Y" trigger a recollection of the builder's name?

Unfortunately it was just a spec of something that got in the picture. It's not really there, but good observation. It could be a Y. Or a V maybe.

shezts

jmp
Nov-30-2012, 1:45pm
This is probably not a helpful response but based on the look of the thing, the weird logo, and last but not least and the Santa Fe, NM location I'm thinking space aliens.

shezts
Nov-30-2012, 2:18pm
guess you've been there

Bernie Daniel
Nov-30-2012, 3:16pm
This is probably not a helpful response but based on the look of the thing, the weird logo, and last but not least and the Santa Fe, NM location I'm thinking space aliens.

I am thinking peyote! :) But actually its kind of cool -- fresh in its way -- the builder choose his/her own path. What is that material on the headstock inlay? It looks a bit like Jasper? Good luck on your search but I have no clue, sorry!

Altar
Nov-30-2012, 5:03pm
Unfortunately it was just a spec of something that got in the picture. It's not really there, but good observation. It could be a Y. Or a V maybe.

shezts

That's not a speck. There is a distinct Y in all 3 pics.

shezts
Nov-30-2012, 8:11pm

Yes. The pictures were taken the same day. But I took this one just now.

That's not a speck. There is a distinct Y in all 3 pics.

John McCoy
Nov-30-2012, 11:43pm
Well, the mention of Santa Fe (and we all know what went on there) and the apparent letter "Y" make me think of maybe Yuma, Arizona (and we all know what went on there)....

Seriously, though: This is just a shot in the dark, but the clean-line triangle logo with the Y looks an awful lot like a cattle brand: a ranch logo, perhaps? Maybe that will trigger a memory?

shezts
Dec-08-2012, 3:31pm
Well, the mention of Santa Fe (and we all know what went on there) and the apparent letter "Y" make me think of maybe Yuma, Arizona (and we all know what went on there)....

Seriously, though: This is just a shot in the dark, but the clean-line triangle logo with the Y looks an awful lot like a cattle brand: a ranch logo, perhaps? Maybe that will trigger a memory?

I wasn't able to find his name, but if anyone's interested the instrument for sale.

- Shezts

Texas
Dec-09-2012, 2:08pm
Hi,

Can anyone identify the maker of this mandolin?

I bought it in the early 90s from an instrument maker working in Santa Fe, NM, but I can no longer remember his name. It was quite a while ago. I'd be grateful for any help.

Here are the images. It's solid body, 5 strings. As you can see there's a triangular logo, which I imagine must have been his trademark. That is what I hope someone will recognize.

Thanks

Shezts

This is vintage Santa Fe/ Taos, NM artsy-crafty stuff you will find in numerous shops and roadside stands. I suspect a woodworker got bored with work and decided to venture out while exploring the source of the Taos Hum. Actually, this may be the source of the Taos Hum.