PDA

View Full Version : Jay Turser M20

garyblanchard
Feb-23-2004, 2:59pm
Is anyone here familiar with this brand? I played their M20, F-style and was pleased with the sound and action, but this is an unfamiliar company. Anyone have any information?

pdan
Feb-26-2004, 9:13am
Hey, I don't know much but a friend of mine bought one of their electric guitars and boasts that it is an incredible value for the price. Also one of his former guitar instructors prefers their electric guitars over Fender. Not much help concerning their mandolins but perhaps a small clue to the overall company. Dan

garyblanchard
Feb-26-2004, 10:37am
That helps. I've been trying one out and it seems like a well-made instrument for the price. Hearing good things about their guitars tells me they might be built to last.

Ted Eschliman
Feb-26-2004, 11:15am
We've had about 12 Turser mandos go through our store, and I have one word for them. It's a relatively neutral one:
"Inconsistent."
Out of those, one was good enough for our head salesman, a proficient guitarist who ocassionally doubles on mandolin. His was good enough to actually install a Fishman pickup. He used it quite a bit and loved it.
Having said that, 2 of the 12 actually had tops cave in on them in the store. The other 9 ranged somewhere in between. (We've since stopped carrying them.)
This is very typical of the Asian import product. When your dealing with week to week "outsourcing" on the manufacturer/distributor end, it's a nightmare getting consistent quality. The only "preventative maintenance" a consumer has is not buying sight unseen, or at very least dealing with a business that has a very generous return policy.
And you're REALLY rolling the dice if you buy from a source that won't even open the box before the customer sees it.
Some of the best value's I've EVER seen have been Jay Turser jazz box (hollowbody) guitars.
Also, some of the worst nightmares.

garyblanchard
Feb-26-2004, 11:52am
Thanks for that warning, Mandohack. I've already decided not to buy a mandolin I haven't had in my hands and played. I've bought a few instruments on-line; the only one I wasn't real happy with was my first mandolin. Since it was only $50.00 I can't complain, but I decided there is too much to take into consideration to buy blindly. The M20 I'm looking at I have played several times and have found it to be good.

Maybe the problem you mentioned explains why there are no pictures or information about the M-20 on their website. When I Emailed to ask for info/photos thay told me no info or photos were available.

Any suggestions for another F-style in that price range ($300)? That's all my budget and my sensibilities will allow.

mpeknox
Feb-28-2004, 6:25am
you might keep your eyes peeled for a used fender FM63S...pretty good mando for the money and used shouldn't be too far out of your price range