PDA

View Full Version : Help ID this Kentucky mandolin model

hiar
Nov-28-2012, 11:46am
94719 94721 94720 94722

I recently picked up this Kentucky, but unlike every one I saw in 10+ years of working retail a while back, this has no label/serial number/model number. My Google search turns up similar examples, but there's always at least one feature that doesn't match: fretboard curve, headstock inlay, metal-part plating, etc. (Somehow I didn't hoard a pile of Saga catalogs for their escalating collectibility value...)

My guess that it's lower end as F-models go: unfigured maple; top seems to be solid spruce; tuner plates and tailpiece cover are lightly stamped; the fretboard end has French curve rather than the fully-shaped finger extension; rosewood fretboard and bridge. Photos show it a little darker than in real life (the lighter part of the sunburst is a little yellower.) It's in great shape, making me think it's not too old (although the strings it came with were pretty bad--not sure if that was age or cheap-itude).

Any insight from the learned Kentucky aficionados will be appreciated.

albeham
Nov-28-2012, 12:49pm
looks like a KM630.

AL

hiar
Nov-28-2012, 2:37pm
looks like a KM630.

AL

Yes--but for the KM-630's gold hardware.

Could this be a blem or a 2nd because of the chrome hardware, hence no label? There's no other designation as such.

Folkmusician.com
Nov-28-2012, 5:12pm
I am going to say 630 as well. And not more than a few years old. I believe the abbreviated fingerboard happened in 2007, the headstock is the latest and I recall it being updated in the past couple of years. The latest KM-630 I received has nickel hardware. These are always changing (though different tuners). It wouldn't be a blem or second due to this. :)

Here is a KM-630 I have here now:

Mandolin Mick
Nov-28-2012, 5:41pm
Looks like a KM-630. It's not unusual for them to have gold hardware.