PDA

View Full Version : Golden Age Instruments

goose 2
Nov-27-2012, 12:28am
Just a snapshopt of my collection of "New Golden Age" instruments. I really believe that these instruments and others from our present era are equal in quality, craftsmanship, and tone to those of the 1920s- 30s. What a great time it is to be an acoustic musician and I want to salute all the different modern luthiers! I believe that ya'll are instrumental (pun intended) in preserving traditional American music by giving us great instruments to play. Obviously there are not enough Loars and 'Bones to go around for all but it doesn't matter! We've got you guys building us great instruments on which to play great music. So hats off and a good 'ol Hee Haw SAAALUTE to all.

Pictured are:

1. Martin D-18 Authentic, 2006
2. Ome Bright Angel (12 inch pot), 2008
3. Gibson DMM, 2003

Its tough to decide which one to play! (the mandolin usually wins)

Mike Bunting
Nov-27-2012, 12:53am
I've had a look at a couple of those D-18 A's and they are pretty special.

goose 2
Nov-27-2012, 1:03am
They really are. I got this one about 5 years ago from my picking buddy. He sold it to me to buy a 1940 D-18. Mine has had a lot of playing time and sounds so good. Very hard to tell it from a vintage D-18 tone wise now that it is well played in.

Chip Booth
Nov-27-2012, 11:57am
Yep, those D18As have been really good across the board in my experience. That's a great collection. I play a custom Ome Flora, 12" with the silverspun tone ring like yours, and love it.

sgarrity
Nov-27-2012, 2:23pm
That's a good looking trio!

John Duncan
Nov-27-2012, 4:10pm
I really believe that these instruments and others from our present era are equal in quality, craftsmanship, and tone to those of the 1920s- 30s.

I couldn't agree more!

JeffD
Nov-27-2012, 5:04pm
That is a wonderful picture, with the rocking chair in the background.

goose 2
Nov-27-2012, 11:38pm
Chip I played a 12 inch Flora that Tanya had at the Ome booth this year at Winfield. I loved everything about it from the scale to the antique hardware, wider neck, and amazing tone. I'd like to own that banjo!