PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth repairing?

Wendy
Feb-23-2004, 1:49pm
I have come across a 1932 app Arthur O Windsor mandolin called "The Pyxe". It seems to be in fairly good shape, no cracks, nice silver work. Is this something that would considered a collectors piece? I'm trying to decide what would be a fair price to pay for this mandolin and whether it is considered a classic. Any advice?

grsnovi
Feb-23-2004, 2:17pm
What style is it? "A", "F", Neopolitan? cylinder-back?

Mandolins were very common in the 1890's and 1910's and there are very few "collectibles" from that era.

The '22-'24 Gibsons came in at the tail-end of the mando craze and even Loars couldn't revive mandolins.

Does the instrument need any work at all?

Wendy
Feb-23-2004, 3:14pm
It needs almost no repair. It is a A sytle.

grsnovi
Feb-23-2004, 6:10pm
With no inkling if that model is (or should be) of any interest, there are 14 pages of mandolins available on eBay. Sorted by price, you range from 10,000 to a dollar but by the third page you're already down to $150 so the rest of them are less than that (or asking less at this point in their auction life).

Is this mandolin local?

What do they want for it? $100 or $200 ? Unless it is drop-dead gorgeous, I'm not sure what I'd pay (but then I have an old one already that has been in my family for 70+ years).