PDA

View Full Version : a Band as Film Extras

mandroid
Nov-21-2012, 4:32am
Watched again .. and saw some Mandolin in the Outdoor stage band
in a scene in 'Kindergarden Cop', It was a quick cut away,
but enough to perk my curiosity. and see if anyone Knew, Who Was That?

Paul Kotapish
Nov-21-2012, 2:52pm
The mandolinist was Peter "Spud" Siegel.

http://www.bondstreetblues.com/html/bios/spud.html

I knew Spud when I lived up in Oregon, and ran into him at various music gatherings and festivals and at gigs when I played out in Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia.

He was living in Astoria at the time they filmed Kindergarten Cop location scenes there, and if I remember the story correctly, he just happened to be working on a construction project near where they were planning to shoot an outdoor scene when one of the scouts asked if he knew any musicians who could play public-domain material for that sequence. Did he ever!

Can't remember who the other musicians were in that scene, but there was quite a lively trad music community in Astoria and environs in the '70s and '80s, and I understand that there is still a bluegrass scene around nearby Cannon Beach.

It's been quite a few years since our paths crossed, but I believe Spud is still on the Oregon coast and playing and recording with some great Portland musicians and the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra and whatnot.

I remember him as a wonderful musician and a great guy. His brother, "Kid," was another fine player.

Jim Nollman
Nov-21-2012, 4:09pm
Spud is playing in the Phorehead jug band with a former member of Asleep at the Wheel, Turtle Van deMarr, and David Reisch who used to play with The Holy Modal Rounders. That band is based in Portland. I played with Spud a bit this summer, and was impressed trying out his fine sounding Sullivan mandolin.

mandroid
Nov-21-2012, 4:43pm
I know 'Spud', the film scene cut was so fast
I only caught 4 outlines and some audio.

He still lives in Clatsop Co.

as do I, But not then.

One of my Friends moved here , her kid was an extra
in the studio classroom scene In LA, but not in the Astoria Location shots.