PDA

View Full Version : Live Recording Dates For My Band

journeybear
Nov-19-2012, 3:06pm
My band, The Real Malloys, is recording our shows tonight and tomorrow for a CD scheduled for release in a month or so. Following is the notice I've sent out via email and facebook. These shows are accessible via webcam - just follow the included links. There is also a link to our kickstarter page for those who want to know more about the project or perhaps even donate. I hope this does not conflict with posting guidelines; if any moderators decide that is the case please delete the link. Hope people tune in!

Actually, I always hope people tune in. Some do, and often have nice things to say. In this case, I would appreciate it if anyone tuning in has comments which might help fine-tune tomorrow night's performance. It takes a village, they say ...

+ X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X + X +

Friends, fans, folks, your long wait will soon be over - The Real Malloys will be putting out a CD in the near future. We will be recording our shows Monday at Schooner Wharf 7-11 PM and Tuesday at Smokin' Tuna 9-12 PM, with a CD release a few weeks thereafter. The estimable Ian Shaw of Warmfuzz (http://warmfuzz.com) will be in charge of the recording duties, so we expect the sound to be phenomenal. This is being funded through kickstarter.com, and you can go to the page here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1052370626/rob-ernest-and-the-real-malloys-live-from-old-town for more information, including how to donate and the thank-you gifts you will receive (they include some fun things and get better the more you give, just like a PBS/NPR pledge). We are very pleased to see that we have already reached 1/3 of our goal within a week of starting. Thank you all for your support over the years and hopefully for a long time to come. It means a great deal to know how much what we do means to you.

And of course, if you are within driving distance, come to the shows! We will be making our best efforts to be better than ever - as we always do, naturally, only even more so! And if you scream and shout loudly enough, not only will your voice be heard and preserved for prosperity, you may well spur us on to previously unknown heights of achievement. Or we will all just have fun. Anyway it happens, whatever works for you, it's all good - all of that! Hope you can make it!

If you live too far away, you can still participate. Not only via the aforementioned donation process, but by tuning in via the webcams: http://www.schoonerwharf.com/webcam.htmhttp://www.schoonerwharf.com/webcam.htm Monday night or http://smokintunasaloon.com/tunacam.php Tuesday night.

In case you are unsure just what is the subject all this roundabout rambling (it's been a while for some of you) it’s The Real Malloys: Rob Ernest, Steve Gibson, and Stephen LaPierre. These notorious musicians hail from parts unknown, but have been spotted at locations around South Florida. Equal parts Appalachian shindig, Nashville honky-tonk, and Texas grit, their show is a must-see for those longing for the days of dance halls, reckless romance, and traveling medicine shows.

Thank you so much for bearing with me. We now return you to your previously scheduled program, already in progress ...

journeybear
Nov-21-2012, 12:06pm
Hope some of you tuned in. Monday night's gig at our usual place was a bit strange. Perhaps the expectation, anticipation, high hopes, or just plain nervousness led me to feel I was messing up again and again. I probably was, too, though no one really mad much of it. We redid a lot of songs from the first set as the third set, and some of those were better. Overall, I couldn't help feeling disappointed. It seemed like just another gig as a bar band.

But last night, at the other venue, we really came together. After a couple rocky starts, we hit our stride, and song after song was spot on. It was as if Monday night was a dress rehearsal for Tuesday night, and we had shaken off whatever was holding us back. I should probably just be speaking for myself, but as an ensemble, the sounds we produced were very much how I imagine they should be. Our second set went far afield, way past the set list. We had already played about an hour and a half, getting close to the midnight cut-off, but we got asked to continue, and so we did - for another 45 minutes! The lead singer asked how I was feeling - I almost said "indomitable," but just said "great," and on we went. I was in such a groove I wasn't the least bit tired or interested in stopping. I love it when that happens. It felt as though nearly everything we did last night was usable. And the bonus is we probably made a good enough impression on the management that we may well get hired back. People stayed through the set break and even all the way to the end. It was one of our best gigs ever - and we got it all on tape!

Looking forward to hearing the finished product. Heck, even the rough mix. It's been years since the last time I've done any recording, and a lot has changed. It's not as if I'm some kind of rock star (still) and much of what I play gets recorded. There are lengthy gaps, whole stages of development that vanish into echoes, and it would have been nice if more steps along the way were able to be revisited. But this probably won't bother anyone other than me or my biographer - and I haven't heard from him in so long I have a feeling he's lost interest. Guess I'll just keep on keeping on and hope some of what I do doesn't fall on deaf ears. At least this time around something will come of it. I'll be sure to let you know when it's ready.

Chip Booth
Nov-21-2012, 2:11pm
Recording live is an interesting process. In my experience having recorded almost every live show that a band of mine played for ten years, time and time again the recordings of the nights that we felt on top of the world were sloppy, rushed, and generally unusable. The nights were things seemed mellow, a little boring, perhaps because they weren't as well attended, almost inevitably sounded crisp, clear, and professional.

Bob Clark
Nov-21-2012, 2:46pm
Hi JB,

Just wishing you luck with this. Sounds like a fun project. I didn't listen in this time, but did catch your Smokin Tuna performance another time recently. I really enjoyed it. Actually, I have tuned in to two of your performances now (a Schooner Wharf performance as well). Fun band, I wish I could be there to catch it live!

Best wishes,

Bob

journeybear
Nov-21-2012, 6:21pm
Hey, thanks! Yes, we played at Smokin' Tuna last Tuesday as well, and if that was the one you caught, you caught a good one! It might have even been our best show ever. The spirit was upon me, we were hell bent for leather, we kicked butt and took no prisoners - well, use whatever hackneyed phrase you prefer to describe a superlative experience that exceeds expectations. I really don't know how, but again and again I found myself tearing it up. Wish we had recorded that night! Still, I think a lot of last night's show was up there as well.

I know what you mean, Chip. Somehow, all too often, that little red light makes things go awry. I sure felt it Monday night, when a lot of my playing seemed unspecial, even substandard. Somehow things go better if one plays as if no one is recording, with no expectations or undue emphasis on perfection. I've been in bands that recorded a lot, and yes, the results were often different from what we thought at the moment. But sometimes I've been so glad tape was rolling, and we caught some pretty good stuff. Never done much with any of it, but they're there, somewhere, and maybe someday I'll do something with some of them ...