PDA

View Full Version : My ShopGoodwill Bat Wing - Work Complete - Pictures

Texas
Nov-14-2012, 6:42pm
I bought this old Bat Wing, not sure if it's a Harmony or not, and it was in fair condition. Many small dings in the finish, missing pick guard, broken Nut and missing strings.

I used my woodworking skills to French Polish the finish back into shape which even amazed me at how I was able to match the finish. It's difficult now to see any blemish.

I replaced the nut and left it high so I can use it to improve my slide skills.

I found a pick guard and placed where it was once located.

Finally added strings and tuned. And to my amazement, it holds tune very well.

Here's a few pictures:

Randi Gormley
Nov-14-2012, 7:19pm
Very cool.

hank
Nov-14-2012, 7:38pm
I Concur! Texas Treasures, great refinish. Thanks for sharing.

mandroid
Nov-14-2012, 7:51pm
makes a Cat catcher too.

Marty Jacobson
Nov-14-2012, 8:26pm
Let us know how that slide mandolin works out. Do you play in open tunings for that?

Texas
Nov-14-2012, 10:20pm
Let us know how that slide mandolin works out. Do you play in open tunings for that?

I'm working on the open tune thing, but to be honest, very little info exists about it and that includes on the internet. Since I am brand new to this it is trail and error right now, but making slow progress. I decided to keep the nut as flat as possible and level the strings so I have contact with the slide across all strings evenly. I am honestly considering writing a how-to on this prices since nothing exists.
Thanks for the comments. It's been a fun learning experience.

Texas
Nov-14-2012, 10:31pm
makes a Cat catcher too.

My cats are fascinated by the sound, especially when I pluck the E strings. After I lay the Mandolin down they—all three—gather around for a sniff.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-14-2012, 11:05pm
Are there any numbers stamped inside? They might be faint.

Texas
Nov-14-2012, 11:14pm
Are there any numbers stamped inside? They might be faint.

I'll take it out in the sun tomorrow with a magnifier and take a look at what appears to be something stamped inside. My inside night lights are not bright enough for my eyes to make anything out at all, and sunlight is a big help for me.

Ron McMillan
Nov-15-2012, 12:44am
What a great project. Well done for bringing it back from the near-dead.

ron

wildpikr
Nov-15-2012, 8:06am
If you want a good example of slide mandolin, check out Watson Allman on Sam Bush's Glamor and Grits album.