PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Howe-Orme

Gregory Tidwell
Nov-11-2012, 8:05pm
Hi all,

I picked up an old Howe-Orme today in Sacramento. At least, that's what I think I is. I got it for $100, and if my memory serves me, I think I got it for a pretty good price. Unfortunately I have no idea how to value this particular mandolin. Here are some photos:

The only issues that I can see are the binding piece that is missing and the replacement tuners. It also needs a fret dressing and stinks like cigarette smoke. I've put some of those little moisture absorbers that come in prescription bottles, but I doubt that will help. Anyone know how I can de-stink this thing?

Also, there is no label inside the instrument, but along the inside just below the sound hole is stamped "American Conservatory" with an oval ring around it. That stamp is over some other writing. The only thing I can make out is "Feb 6 U.S." and something "Music Co." and a P.O. Box that I cannot make out. Handwritten just above that under the treble strings is a handwritten number, "460156". In front of the "4" there may be another stamp that says "25" or "22", but its really faint and Im not sure its not just a smudge of something. The scale length is just a skosh under 13" (I think. I'm not entirely sure how to measure scale length, but if I put the start of the tape measure in the middle of the nut, the bridge is about 13" away).

I was hoping someone could tell me about the instrument, like what it is, what it's value is in current condition, and what kind of strings I should use to string it up. I want to have it worked on, maybe brought into good condition, but I don't want to sink money into it if its not worth it. And in case it matters, this is going into the herd, and is not for resale.

Bob DeVellis
Nov-11-2012, 8:52pm
That's not a Howe-Orme. American Conservatory is a Washburn line.

allenhopkins
Nov-11-2012, 9:02pm
While it's a mandolinetto, it's not a Howe-Orme. "American Conservatory" was a mid-range Lyon & Healy product line. Several companies made mandolinettos in the early 20th century. Howe-Ormes, I believe, had a much more pronounced pressed "cylinder" top; at least my H-O does.

Having said that, it's in pretty good condition, and the back and sides are apparently rosewood. My H-O is an "economy" model with an unbound top and plain mahogany back and sides. My scale length's the same -- 13 inches -- which is short, but these mandolinettos were small instruments.

Getting rid of a persistent odor like tobacco smoke, is not easy. I'd "air it out" to the extent possible, perhaps hanging it in front of a fan for an extended period. There are ozone generators that are used to deodorize air in a house or room, but laying out several hundred dollars for one makes little sense for a $100 mandolin. You may want to try to mask the odor with a commercial product like Fabreze, or use uncooked rice or ground coffee as an odor absorbent. (The latter will result in your mandolin smelling like Maxwell House, however.)

Regal and Lyon & Healy mandolinettos seem to be bringing $250-300 on auction sites, so you're definitely OK at $100. The Howe-Ormes go for a good deal more, but H-O's are seen as collectable, beyond other brands. As for strings, I'd start with very light ones, since if yours is anything like mine, it's lightly built and can't take a lot of string tension. Mine needed an immediate neck re-set when I bought it for $150 on eBay, from a seller convinced it would only be a "wall-hanger." It was quite restorable, however, and I enjoy playing it, with its cheerful "chirp" sound.

Gregory Tidwell
Nov-12-2012, 2:55am
Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate the information.

Jim Garber
Nov-12-2012, 10:28am
Main difference between H-Os and other "mandolinettos" is that the H-Os have an arched top, similar to the back of a Vega cylinder back.