PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes article on Retrofret

brunello97
Nov-11-2012, 7:06pm
Wasn't sure if this had been linked:

Retrofret Gowanus (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/11/nyregion/retrofret-in-gowanus-brooklyn-sells-rare-guitars.html)

this is a nice article on Steve Uhrik's shop (to which I've never had the pleasure to visit) which is often referenced here by our NY compadres.

Mick

barney 59
Nov-11-2012, 9:15pm
Great shop, hard to find but worth the journey. Some very nice mandolins and lots and lots and lots of guitars. The biggest banjo I ever saw and the legendary Brazilian rosewood SJ with the Martin Scale that no one ever gets to see but you hear about them --they had one! --I played it! It was everything that you ever head about it and more!
They're really friendly people and they know their stuff! Finding the place in the first place, your first impression is "It can"t be in this building!" It looks like maybe something like the water department is housed there.Then you find the button and they buzz you up-- the "courtyard" from the article must be some kind way of saying "the roof" 'cause you have to walk across a roof to get to the show room. Apparently given the result of the storm up on the roof is a good thing.

Jim Garber
Nov-12-2012, 10:30am
Steve is a long time friend and an excellent repair person who has a wonderful staff there. BTW the building used to be an ASPCA.

brunello97
Nov-12-2012, 9:03pm
... BTW the building used to be an ASPCA.

Cool. What better karma could a building have than that...

Mick

Jim Garber
Nov-12-2012, 9:34pm
Steve used to find abandoned cats and dogs on his doorstep. He either kept them as his pets or found homes for them.

brunello97
Nov-12-2012, 10:16pm
Steve used to find abandoned cats and dogs on his doorstep. He either kept them as his pets or found homes for them.

Nice work. I wonder if the next occupant will find abandoned guitars and mandolins on HIS doorstep... ;)

Mick

Mike Herlihy
Nov-12-2012, 10:48pm
Nice work. I wonder if the next occupant will find abandoned guitars and mandolins on HIS doorstep... ;)

Mick

Or bodhrans and banjos