PDA

View Full Version : My new Rigel G5

Ted Eschliman
Jan-13-2005, 9:44pm
My new toy, a custom Rigel G5 (although with Rigel, “custom” is almost a redundant adjective…).
Okay, YES I am a Rigel dealer, but NO, this one’s not for sale. (It’s mine. All mine…)

Ted Eschliman
Jan-13-2005, 9:45pm
Block inlays on the fretboard.

Ted Eschliman
Jan-13-2005, 9:45pm
As if going Rigel on an F5 copy wasn’t enough of a departure from tradition for me, I had to upgrade to a MOTO pick guard:

Ted Eschliman
Jan-13-2005, 9:47pm
In addition to showing off the flame & scroll of the Rigel G5, let me put in a plug for Tony Pire’s (AKA "Loney Pines to 'Readers Digest'") “Tone-gard” at www.tone-gard.com. As if the Rigel’s didn’t have enough sustain already, this one’s a mouth full!

mandoJeremy
Jan-13-2005, 9:52pm
Ted, I am disappointed....NO BLUE!!!!!!!! I was expecting a blue G5!

mandoJeremy
Jan-13-2005, 9:53pm
Oops, it is very nice looking and I am sure it sounds just as good.

nobleheart
Jan-14-2005, 1:10am
Nice G5 Mr. E. How does she sound in comparison to your your CT? Must wait for the Q...Ha Ha http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Ted Eschliman
Jan-14-2005, 6:05am
Tim's reference to his one-of-a-kind blue-burst 'Gypsy Q,' currently in the oven at Cambridge, VT is worth mention. (Certainly rousing a bit of jealousy in me!)
The CT-110 and G5 are both such different critters. The CT is more my "signature" ax, yielding the line and sustain I crave for jazz and Choro. Strung up with TIs, it gives me a very "round," rich sound.
The G5 offers more "punch," especially in more folk or acoustic environments. I joked with Peter Mix about needing a more traditional F (tobacco-burst instead of blue) for the 2 or 3 G-Chop chords I'll do this year. This is one I'll probably keep EXP phos bronze strings to honor that "brilliance," but only if I can get D'addario to offer a slightly lighter (10-39) option string (not currently available, but I'm working on them).
Both feel like a million bucks to play, but everyone here knows my bias for the Rigel neck and fingerboard, so I'll stop slobbering...

halfdeadhippie
Jan-14-2005, 8:17am
drool

but intersting quote on the CT vrs the G

I am looking for much the same - long sustain - cooler tone

getting more and more into jazz and latin stuff -

definatley leaning Rigel way - was thinking CT or G - I think based on your comment I should focus on the CT ?

nice axe man

Lane Pryce
Jan-14-2005, 8:34am
I have seen only one G5 at our local jam,and I have always like the looks of the G as well as the tone. Hearing the G live was indeed a treat.It had growl that was second to none and a wicked bark every time the owner called on it.The thing that impressed me most was the volume.I couldn't get over how loud and balanced it was.No doubt in my mind that it can hang with the big boys.Very nice addition. Lp

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-14-2005, 8:43am
Hi Ted...Does that "scroll ridge" really run essentially to the bridge?...very cool looking

gdae85
Jan-14-2005, 2:19pm
Congratulations!!! You got yourself a fine looking axe. I would love to hear some sound clips. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

sweetmusic
Jan-14-2005, 7:57pm
drool, drool http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif