PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Bluegrass Song Recommendations

Michael Neuder
Nov-08-2012, 8:30pm
Hello Everyone,
This is my first time post on this forum, but I have been reading through some things the past couple weeks and it has been extremely helpful. So I recently purchased my first mandolin, and am really loving it. So much fun. I was just looking for some recommendations as first good bluegrass songs. I been learning chords and scales, but also am very interested in playing more of the melody like and plucking out single notes. I already looked through many pages of tabs on this site, but many seem pretty advanced and I am looking for some help to find some good first songs to learn. I am mostly interested in bluegrass, but other recommendations are always welcome and appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Michael Neuder

Jakerex
Nov-08-2012, 9:47pm
I'm looking for the same recommendations also.....anyone?

jazzjune18
Nov-08-2012, 10:04pm
Jay buckey music is a good website to start with. I recommend something simple like amazing grace. His website has tabs and mp3s so you can play along.

Tim Pike
Nov-08-2012, 10:07pm
Here is a link to some great tunes-most are pretty easy. Pick a song and take your time with it. "Whiskey Before Breakfast" is a great tune to begn with. There is also a version here at the Cafe under the "tablature" section. Best of luck and have fun!

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab3.html

poniverus
Nov-09-2012, 5:07am
I bought this a month or two ago and has been keeping me busy for the time being. Also comes with audio tracks so once you get up to speed you can play along.

http://www.amazon.com/STAR-BLUEGRASS-JAM-ALONG-MANDOLIN-Along/dp/1597731269

Wilbur James
Nov-09-2012, 7:50am
Soldiers Joy.

Dennis Peacock
Nov-09-2012, 7:55pm
The Flop Eared Mule is a great starter tune. I learned that one out of the "Mandolin for Dummies" book. That tune and learning it gave me a real boost of confidence in being able to play notes fairly quickly based on tempo that is.

I gave my MFD book to my SIL as he is learning mando as well.....so now I gotta order me another one. :)