PDA

View Full Version : Almuse Mandolin

mandrian
Nov-06-2012, 10:58am
Hi,

I have just heard that Christmas has been brought forward to this Thursday. That is when I will receive an emando that I ordered from Cafe member Soundfarmer Pete otherwise known as Almuse. The pictures that Pete has sent me look great. Here are a few examples.

Regards,

rico mando
Nov-06-2012, 11:29am
Awesome . enjoy your new emando .

Elliot Luber
Nov-06-2012, 2:25pm
Beautiful mando!

pjlama
Nov-06-2012, 2:50pm
Wow, that looks great. What did it set you back?

CelticDude
Nov-06-2012, 10:05pm
That wood is amazing looking! What is it?

mandrian
Nov-07-2012, 2:53am
Hi,

Thanks for the positive feedback. To answer the questions that were asked, the woods are mahogany body with maple neck and rosewood fretboard. The cost was £430 or around $650. A great price for a custom build.

Regards

Soundfarmer Pete
Nov-07-2012, 3:42am
That wood is amazing looking! What is it?
The body is Sapele (African Mahogany) clear sealed then sprayed with a few coats of clear lacquer tinted with Hammerl brown before final clear......I`m not a fan of staining wood!!!!!
I really like the way that the lengthways stripes in sapele have that "flip flop" effect much like the side to side figure in flame maple:)

Ed Goist
Nov-07-2012, 5:57pm
Beautiful work (as always) Pete!
Mandrian, enjoy!

Mandobart
Nov-08-2012, 4:44pm
Sweet looking mando! I too prefer the natural, unstained look of most any wood. Beautiful! I'm sure she'll sing as well.

mandrian
Nov-12-2012, 11:08am
Hi,

Just to say that I received the mandolin last Thursday and gave it a good tryout over the weekend. It exceeded my expectations and I was very happy with the workmanship and design. I asked Pete to make the neck a little wider than is perhaps normal at 1.25 inches and its worked out well in terms of playability and comfort. The tone from the neck pickup is just what I wanted with more of a jazz sound. I may experiment with strings, but then again, thats half the fun! All in all, a very happy customer. Big thanks to Pete at Almuse.

Regards,

CES
Nov-12-2012, 11:39am
Congrats, and, Pete, nice work!

tablaninja
Nov-22-2012, 12:22pm
This instrument, along with those from Kevin Schwab, have been my inspiration for purchasing a Deluxe Mooncaster 5-string electric mandolin kit! Tom with Moongazer has been awesome and I can't wait to receive the kit. Pete, I'm constantly checking out the builds you've done for further inspiration. In fact, I have a fairly large amount of sapele sitting in my shop that may now have a purpose. I'm thinking of building a second mandocaster along side my kit using the woods that I already have. Here's a pic of the sapele with naptha rubbed on to show the grain. 94466

Soundfarmer Pete
Nov-22-2012, 6:00pm
Thanks Tablaninja ............shame to have all that lovely wood gathering dust....get stuck in (and have fun)!