PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with "Pick up the World" pickups?

Michael Richmond
Nov-04-2012, 1:38pm
Does anyone have any experience with "Pick up the World" under bridge pickups?

I recently purchased a guitar to mandocello converted instrument without a bridge. The instrument has "Pick up the World" pickup installed. It looks like it is the model for a single foot bridge.

Any experiences with this pickup on the cafe?

I'm trying to decide whether to get a full-contact bridge made or standard two foot bridge. Also trying to decide whether it is work keeping the pickup or removing it. I don't play out and my only "amp" is an iJam adapter into GarageBand on my iPad.

sunburst
Nov-04-2012, 4:40pm
I'm not a mandolin player, so I don't have any performing experience with "Pick up the World", but I installed one for a customer. The bridge obviously has to be adjusted (lowered to compensate for the strip of whatever under it). I'm not sure if there is any real difference in the pickup for full contact of for a two-foot bridge, the one I installed was a solid strip and went under a 2-ft bridge. The player (Andy Thacker) likes the unit for plugging in and playing live, (He plays in a rather interesting band called Love Canon that plays '80s rock&roll on "Bluegrass" instruments, and they play at volume levels seldom heard from Bluegrass bands.) He says the mandolin sounds essentially the same played acoustically with the pickup installed. The only problem I see is that the bridge is a little unstable because of the relatively soft strip of whatever under it, and any tendency for the bridge to tilt is made somewhat worse.

If you live where you have plenty of band width, you can check them out here. http://vimeo.com/39699281

sunburst
Nov-04-2012, 4:43pm
duplicate post, sorry

Austin Bob
Nov-04-2012, 6:00pm
I had one for years on my A model, and was happy with it. I was using it with a carpenter jack and never liked the setup, so I eventually replaced it with a K&K with an internal jack.

I agree with John, I could go crazy loud with the PUTW and it still sounded good.

Shelagh Moore
Nov-04-2012, 7:06pm
I've fitted PUTW model 27 transducers internally in an A style mandolin and octave mandolin and was very happy with the fidelity of tone. They do need a preamp though.