PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kelly F OM, played one?

steve V. johnson
Jan-12-2005, 10:54pm
Tempting price... It's gotta be better than .... well... good. I think...

I haven't found one locally, haven't had the chance to hear one. Can any one describe the sound?

Thanks,

stv

Stillpicking
Jan-13-2005, 6:49am
I own one once you have it setup with a good set of strings it is full in the tone department with a good "o" sustain fit and finish is amazing considering the cost of the Legacy "O".

I also have an MK "ButterFly" and that has more of a Bluegrass sound to it less sustain but sharper on the chop side.

Like them both you can't go wrong for the price.

steve V. johnson
Jan-14-2005, 3:30pm
What other OMs did you compare it to? Were you able to play it side by side with some others?

Many thanks!

stv

Stillpicking
Jan-14-2005, 11:14pm
I didn't have a chance to play it side by side to compare it with other "O" s but I owned a 1918 Gibson" A" oval a number of years back and the Gibson neck was way too thick for my liking but it did have a more woody sound on the bass side than my current MK but it was also 70 years older .

I also recently had a chance to play 2 F4 Gibsons at a local music store both were nice but both needed some work to be done on them and the price was around 3000 apiece without the repairs, way over my budget.
Again they were more woody than my MK and again they were 70 years older.

My first MK "butterfly" now has 3 plus years of playing time and a professional setup and it sounds really nice. Has a more woody sound to it. I am thinking the Legacy "O" will be just as nice in a year or 2.

neal
Jan-15-2005, 5:28pm
Those Legacy O's sure do look nice . It would be nice if they gave one the option of an oval hole on the octaves. Anyone play an octave by MK?