PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Wise A Model

Austin Bob
Nov-01-2012, 1:09pm
Here's a picture of my mandolin that I've had for over 25 years. Maybe one day I'll learn how to play it, LOL.

It was built by a local guy, Stephen Wise. He now primarily does repairs, but this mando was built in 1977. I am the second owner. My recollection is that Steve's mom had an old Gibson when he was a kid, and it had apparently somehow ended up in pieces. He built this as a tribute to her, he can still remember her singing and playing it when he was a young boy.

Steve built the first owner a guitar and this mandolin at the same time, but the guy never played the mandolin. He brought them to Steve years later so have some work done on the guitar, and asked Steve to check the mando. Steve saw that it had never been played, and bought it back from the guy, saying he had built this to be played, not sit in the case.

I was young and poor at the time, and had just bought a cheap Epiphone mandolin. I brought it to Steve to get some tuners installed, one was bent. He ended up selling me this for $450, and I had to make payments for months. I will always treasure this, it was the first fine instrument I've ever owned and is one of the best sounding mandolins I've ever played.

Browsing the classifieds, it looks to be a copy of a 1906 Gibson A.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/60580

Jim Garber
Nov-01-2012, 1:28pm
Very nice, Bob. I love when builders build something a little unusual, like copying an early Gibson A. Can you post a few more photos? It looks to be beautifully made. Where is Mr. Wise located?

billhay4
Nov-01-2012, 1:41pm
Very nice looking instrument. Got a sound clip? I'd love to hear it.
Bill

Stephen Cagle
Nov-01-2012, 2:16pm
Very nice mandolin indeed. I love the old Gotoh tuners on it. I have a set of Gotoh's just like them from the 70's and the buttons have yellowed just like yours. I'm fixing to have them installed on a custom built mandolin.

Austin Bob
Nov-01-2012, 8:17pm
Jim,
Here's some more pics, Steve lives in Austin:

Nice figuring on the back. You can also see the jack for the K&K pickup. Steve had enough forward vision to include a mounting block for a pickup jack when he built this thing years ago.

Not your average Gibson style bridge, and a nice view of the inlayed pickguard.

Steve's signature headstock. Should have cleaned her up before taking pictures, LOL.

If you look closely you can see the strings hit the top between the bridge and tailpiece. Doesn't affect the sound, this is a cannon. And Steve says that's the way the original was as well. Can anyone verify? I know I must have that tailpiece cover somewhere, but it's been years since I've seen it.

@Billy, no soundclip - maybe I'll get around to recording it someday.

fatt-dad
Nov-01-2012, 8:22pm
Just the greatest!

f-d

Jim Garber
Nov-02-2012, 1:26pm
Lovely mandolin. Is he really not building any more?