PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like a "Log"????????

sachmo63
Oct-29-2012, 6:51am
Hey there everybody, i've heard this over and over and don't really understand what a "log" sounds like or by that end what "woody" sounds like too. I've owned many mandolins in search for the ONE and all have had their individual sounds. Some had a lot of overtones, some where dark sounding and some had that thing that just pushed air out of the chamber. Most of these were great mandolins just not what I heard in my head and now that I own a pretty good gibson i'm wondering if i'm getting closer.

:mandosmiley:

John Anthony
Oct-29-2012, 7:22am
I've got an old 19th-century no-name bowlback that sounds like a log, and I love it!

Jim
Oct-29-2012, 7:28am
The Log song from ren & Stimpy

What rolls down stairs
alone or in pairs,
and over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack,
And fits on your back?
It's log, log, log

It's log, it's log,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, it's log, it's better than bad, it's good."

Everyone wants a log
You're gonna love it, log
Come on and get your log
Everyone needs a log
log log log

*whistle*
LOG FROM BLAMMO

f5loar
Oct-29-2012, 8:54am
I've always heard "sounds like a wet log" which is not a good thing for acoustical sound. Woody can mean "dry" too. Has that "dry woody" sound. Most relate that to Monroe's mandolin sound after about 1980.

OldSausage
Oct-29-2012, 9:21am
I always thought people were talking about "Woody" from Toy Story, and have been searching for a mandolin with the same voice as Tom Hanks. But I recently heard a Gibson that sounded more like Woody Harrelson.

Jim Garber
Oct-29-2012, 9:43am
I would think that "sounds like a log" would be a negative comment. I have never heard it referring to a good sound.

sachmo63
Oct-29-2012, 11:12am
I'm not sure the comment would be disparaging against the instrument, isn't "that woody sound" a common mantra in the classifieds to sell instruments? I always thought many people wanted "that" sound?

OldGus
Oct-29-2012, 11:16am
I believe that term is "hollow log" as in a thick and hollow sound/response. I think of "woody" as being a crisp response with having a slight bit of rattle as the instrument sustains a note. This Pag qualifies as both http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFePN6ByZA. Yes, and everyone needs a log, I might need a few this winter...

John Anthony
Oct-29-2012, 11:29am
I believe that term is "hollow log" as in a thick and hollow sound/response. I think of "woody" as being a crisp response with having a slight bit of rattle as the instrument sustains a note. This Pag qualifies as both http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFePN6ByZA. Yes, and everyone needs a log, I might need a few this winter...

I like the rustic sound of that instrument. Certainly not the best choice for Bach, but it sounds great to my ears for that Appalachian folky stuff he's playing.

OldGus
Oct-29-2012, 11:37am
Yeah, certainly not the clearest sound but a lot of rattle and a very commanding and thick "boxy" sound.

shortymack
Oct-29-2012, 11:41am
I always thought 'woody' meant that you liked the sound so much, it gave you one.

Tim2723
Oct-29-2012, 11:48am
I would think that "sounds like a log" would be a negative comment. I have never heard it referring to a good sound.

Same here. To 'sound like a log' is the same as 'it sounds like a brick with strings on it'. Never a good thing.

Jim Garber
Oct-29-2012, 11:52am
Simple test. Grab a log, put some strings on it and see how it sounds. 'Nuff said.

John Anthony
Oct-29-2012, 12:05pm
I always thought 'woody' meant that you liked the sound so much, it gave you one.

Uh. Maybe you should get "GIRLS for Dummies." :grin:

OldGus
Oct-29-2012, 12:32pm
Simple test. Grab a log, put some strings on it and see how it sounds. 'Nuff said.

...You want me to make a banjo?

John Anthony
Oct-29-2012, 12:44pm

lol...

sunburst
Oct-29-2012, 1:07pm
We start with a log. We go through a lot of steps, do a lot to the wood from the log, before it is pronounced a mandolin. I hope nobody every says my mandolin sounds like a log, and if that's the sound they want, I can sure do that a log easier than making it sound like a mandolin!

Mandoe
Oct-29-2012, 1:18pm
To me there are three mando tones...

1) Some mandolins have a strong fundamental sound...the notes are clear with few overtones and not a lot of sustain...you hear the note more than anything...terms like bell-like, ringing and cutting fit here...
2) Some mandolins have more overtone and more sustain...you hear the fundamental note but there is a lot of other sounds you hear as well...like many oval mandos sound to me...terms like deep and dark fit here...
3) I've played quite a few mandos that have "hollow" overtones...the notes sound like they are played in a hollow log or cave...this is the "log" sound to me...terms like woody and punchy and dry fit here...

People like different tones which is fine...some mandos go further in one tone direction than others...

The Loar F-5's I've played have some of all three of these three tones to me...the notes are clear, with good fundamental, good sustain with some overtones and a little of the hollow log sound...none of the three tones dominate...they all three balance...this is my fav tone...

Jacob
Oct-29-2012, 1:21pm
A log (http://gear-vault.com/les-paul-log-guitar-1939-birth-les-paul/) needs a pickup.

Jim Garber
Oct-29-2012, 2:11pm

Poof! You are a banjo! :)

allenhopkins
Oct-29-2012, 2:20pm
That "woody" sound:

3caNrHJ7q1g

Wilbur James
Oct-29-2012, 2:40pm
The January 2010, interview with Mike Compton, He referrers to his first Mandolin sounding like a log, I still can't figure what that reference means, but some people use that word to refer to their mandolin and its sound.

Charley wild
Oct-29-2012, 3:23pm
Now that we have the "log" tone identified let's go on to my personal favorite description, "complex". :)

Phil Goodson
Oct-29-2012, 4:26pm
The last 3 notes of this clip is what I've always thought of as great mandolin woody, "like a hollow log" sound.

Bill Bradshaw
Oct-29-2012, 11:01pm
That was helpful to me.

Bill

The last 3 notes of this clip is what I've always thought of as great mandolin woody, "like a hollow log" sound.