PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 315

Charles E.
Oct-28-2012, 2:21pm
I have two mandolins that I built that are my lifetime instruments but I was in the market for a modest mandolin I could take to places and not have to worry as much about it. After playing an Eastman 315 a while ago I ordered one and got it a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed with the tone out of the box but not one to leave things alone, I refit the bridge feet, swapped out the stamped tailpiece with an Allen ( I also added an Ebony infill to the tailpiece, thanks Mr. Condino for the idea ) and made a Ebony armrest for it. I also put on a set of D'Addario flat top-74's (with a plain steel .015 A). This thing sounds pretty darn good for an entry level instrument.

Astro
Oct-28-2012, 2:46pm
Looks pretty darn good too ! In fact, looks fantastic !!

I Love the ebony infill. I want to replace my cover with an ebony one !

On my Eastman MD305, I replaced the cheap metal tailcover with black suede held on by stick-on velcro strips. I'm not very handy with wood working and this was the best I could do quickly. Looks so so but works great and feels good on my arm. Yours looks fantastic.

I love my new armrest too (McClung by Doug Edwards). These seem essential to me now. I also just stuck on some jbb pickups and I'm good to go to band practice.