PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation! #Set-up and Tricks make gold.

lindensensei
Jan-12-2005, 6:51am
I sent my F5G back to Gibson for some work last year and it finally made it back home. #While there I had it tricked out ala Chris Thile: radiused fingerboard and bridge, slightly shortened neck extension, extra wide frets, new tailpeice etc. and a perfect set-up by David Harvey.

If anyone has ever questioned the value of a Dave Harvey set-up (or anyones) Never Question!. #This is the slickest playing and sounding Mandolin I own and my Fern is headed that way shortly. #Then my F9, then my A1, then.....

Money very well spent.

Jonathan James
Jan-12-2005, 7:29am
Does Gibson publish a price list for standard repairs? Set up, fret dressing, fret replacement, etc.

MarvinFowler
Jan-12-2005, 7:36am
Noob question here...just exactly what is a "radiused" fingerboard?

Jonathan James
Jan-12-2005, 7:39am
A fingerboard with a *radius* has a slight arch to it, as opposed to flat. For many, it makes the notes easier to fret.

philc
Jan-12-2005, 8:46am
how long did they have your mandolin? i would like to have them go over my Bush model but i can't be without it for too long. thanks

Big Joe
Jan-12-2005, 9:08am
The length of time any repair takes depends upon the volulme of work in the shop, the kind of work needed on your particular instrument, and the number of distractions the shop gets for different issues. We make an effort to turn them around as quickly as possilbe. We have had the repairs done basically at teh Valley Arts Store in Nashville, but are moving (nearly completed project) the consumer repair section to Opry Mills to make it easier for the consumer to find us and to follow up on work. It will make it easier for me also because I will be closer to the guys and can oversee the work much better. Our turn around time should shorten.

We have three of the best repair people on the planet here now. Dave Harvey, who is pretty well known. He has been doing repairs for a very long time. Great musician, great friend, and great repair person.

Jackie Miller is one of our luthiers also. He plays nearly all instruments but is fiddler for Ronnie Reno and the Reno Tradition. His work is second to none and he is one of the finest people on the planet.

Josh Vest has been doing repair work for a decade and has been taught by the master himself...Charlie Derrington. One of the fastest neck set and refret people on the face of the earth.

Each or any of these guys will do incredible work on your instrument. The advantage of having them together in the shop is they can use the best each has to offer to get your job done right, and as fast as possible.

If you want an interesting experience that rivals the manufacturing area, you should visit the guys doing the repairs. You will see instruments in every means of repair. Some with necks out, others with backs off, some in pieces , etc. Anyway, thought you would like to know.

philc
Jan-12-2005, 9:23am
Thanks for the info, that sounds great. I really would just like to have the set up tweeked some - nothing major. I have heard many first hand accounts about the great work of Dave Harvey. I live in Louisville and may just have to take a road trip to Nashville soon. Thanks again!

Rick Crenshaw
Jan-12-2005, 3:27pm
If you EVER get the chance to hear Dave Harvey play. RUN, don't walk to the ticket office. I heard him play with Claire Lynch last year here in Memphis and he was great. He played 'Tater Patch' (that's the name right?) and after I picked my jaw up off the floor, I looked around and there were not many who weren't floored by the speed and the clean play we had just heard. Phenomenal.

Rick

eightstrings
Jan-12-2005, 3:48pm
This is a funny coincidence. I just sent my Weber Yellowstone back to Weber for the same kind of work (radiused fingerboard, full setup) and they shipped it out today. I'll let you know how good the upgrade is when I get it...I can't wait!!

Brett

lindensensei
Jan-12-2005, 3:49pm
You are right. #When he called to let me know the G was finished he played it a bit over the phone. #I asked if he would guarantee that it would sound like that for me. #It does, just a lot slower...

Big Joe is right too, lots of great people in that facility. (Hope your Weber comes back half as good. Just kidding. Hope its as good as this very special Gibson.)

G'DAE
Jan-12-2005, 5:49pm
What's the advantage of wide frets?

lindensensei
Jan-13-2005, 12:25pm
From what Billy Fels, my local luthier, #says it gives a much longer and clearer sustain. #It also makes the playing smoother, and gives slides a great even-ness. #Hammer-ons and offs are far easier and louder and since I never play over the 17th fret anyway, it really takes nothing away from the instrument at all. #I like the wider frets very much and intend to have it done to all my instruments over time as I need fret jobs.

G'DAE
Jan-13-2005, 12:31pm
If you play kind of sloppy, does it help sound the note you are trying to hit? Not real sloppy, but just missing. In other words, can it make you a little bit better player?

lindensensei
Jan-14-2005, 8:53pm
Let me answer that the way I address my aikido students; anything that gives you confidence works... for you. #If wider frets makes your sloppy play seem easier and more "groove-like" then you will play more and eventually smooth out. #But let me also tell you something I tell them every night. #

Never practice mistakes.

In other words, practice does not make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect. #Slow down untill you can play it perfectly and then speed up incrementally.

I recently spent a month on my bed because I had a hernia repaired. #I could only lift 5 pounds. #A mandolin players dream, I know. #I decided to learn 'Ode To A Butterfly'. #I practiced, decoded, listened, listened, listened,practiced, and finally after a month can play it perfectly at 115 beats a minute. #Chris plays it at about 260-80 beats a minute. #I have a long way to go, but you know, even at less than half speed, it is a heck of a song. If you have a problem with sloppiness, try that.

Go for perfect as slow as you have to, and then speed up untill you make a mistake... then slow it down untill you can do it perfect again. #

Perfect practice makes perfect.

G'DAE
Jan-14-2005, 10:43pm
Very well said.

Evets
Jan-15-2005, 10:17pm
So, What was the cost for the work on your mandolin? I also have an F5G and have been thinking about possible improvements.

jim_n_virginia
Jan-16-2005, 10:11am
Since Gibson owns the Flatiron name I wonder if they will work on a Flatiron mandolin? My mandolin was not made by Gibson though, was made in Bozeman.

I love my Flatiron but always wanted to radius the fretboard and put on wide frets and getting a Harvey setup would be icing on the cake!

What about it Big Joe would you guys work on a "lowly" Flatiron? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Big Joe
Jan-17-2005, 9:18am
We work on any make, model, or type of stringed instrument (except pianos...we don't consider them stringed instruments http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ) . It matters not if it is a mandolin, guitar, ude, tiple, etc. or if it is made by Gibson, Flatiron, Martin, Weber, Craftsman, etc. Our guys are the best and our ability is not limited. Thank you.