PDA

View Full Version : Chris Thile's new mandolin?

Thee Ambassador
Oct-19-2012, 3:23pm
Just listened to this interesting interview with Chris Thile, and he mentions that he just acquired a second Feb 18 Lloyd Loar... anyone know any more details?

Here's a link to the interview, definitely worth giving a listen:

http://thestory.org/archive/20121019_The_Story__Chris_Thile.mp3/view

Cheers!

Darren Bailey
Oct-19-2012, 3:57pm
I'm glad that grant is being spent on nice things.

Jim Garber
Oct-19-2012, 4:29pm
Here are a few videos from his visit to Staten Island.

uf9A5RF96kg

1gFGPicoOIY

AMJgzAoG3Zg

ERVOYGFtJQI

Jeff Budz
Oct-19-2012, 4:44pm
These videos are so much more enjoyable to me that the recent Punch Brothers concert I attended where they only played songs from the albums and didn't take solos. I would love it if Thile and Eldridge would do some duo shows playing more progressive instrumental stuff.

Thile won the money for playing mandolin good, so if he wants another sunburst F5 he might as well get it. If I were him I'd buy a Gold-Top Phoenix Bluegrass.

Jim Ferguson
Oct-19-2012, 4:50pm
Great interview.....thanks for posting.

Tim Pike
Oct-19-2012, 5:36pm
Love that first video-thanks Jim!

jackmalonis
Oct-19-2012, 11:11pm
Also I don't know if this is news, but I when I saw him with the punch brothers, he was using a tone-gard.

Nick Quig
Oct-20-2012, 3:27am
Very nice!.......a good view of Thile's pick grip too.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-20-2012, 3:38am
Many thanks inded for posting those clips Jim - but,were all those mandolins 'Loars' & was one of them CT's currently owned one against which he was comparing the others ?. Did he actually purchase one of them,& if so,which one ?,:confused:
Ivan;)

SternART
Oct-20-2012, 11:29am
Nice interview! Thanks for posting!

Gerry Hastie
Oct-20-2012, 12:19pm
Many thanks inded for posting those clips Jim - but,were all those mandolins 'Loars' & was one of them CT's currently owned one against which he was comparing the others ?. Did he actually purchase one of them,& if so,which one ?,:confused:
Ivan;)

I believe one of the Loars was the same date as his own and 2 serial numbers away. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. I suspe t that's the one he's going for.

Billgrass
Oct-21-2012, 12:15am
Thanks for posting these and thanks to CT & CE for allowing us to be flies on the wall!

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-21-2012, 2:21am
I had to smile to myself when playing the mandolin in the second clip,the mandolin sounded 'really flat up there'.It posibly only needs a minor bridge adjustment,but even my 'cheapo' (by comparison) Michael Kelly mandolin sounded far better than that past the 12th fret. Apart from the mandolins themselves,i'm always amazed by CT's immaculate right hand when i watch close ups of his playing. After buying my first mandolin,i bought the only tuition DVD in the store,the one by CT. What better player to watch to learn the 'proper way to do it' - amazing !!!,
Ivan

Jeff Budz
Oct-21-2012, 6:17am
I think that Thile bought the second gibson for Eldridge to play on their upcoming duo tour.

blauserk
Oct-21-2012, 9:16pm
I should know the name--I've played it by ear before, tho' nowhere near as well--but what's the piece they launch into about a minute into the first ("Baroque") video?

sgarrity
Oct-21-2012, 10:23pm
The Tennessee Waltz

Kevin Trudo
Dec-14-2012, 3:01am
@Gerry Hastie You got the story right. I just got a chance to have a smoke with the sound guy for Punch Brothers and he confirmed what you're saying.

JFDilmando
Dec-14-2012, 11:44am
Two mandos ran 200k for the first Feb 18, and 180k for the second Feb 18.... First one has been fitted with nice, scooped, arched fingerboard... I believe so far he has left the second, in original condition... but as you might know from CT interviews, he is a strong advocate of "they're made to play, make em what you want to play, and play them"...

bbaker2050
Dec-18-2012, 5:39am
In the 1st video, what is the song he starts playing around the 50 second mark? It sounds really familiar!

bbaker2050
Dec-18-2012, 7:27am
Nevermind, I see my question was already answered.