PDA

View Full Version : Drew Emmitt's Mandolin Rig and other "Plugged in Players"

mattbeninghof
Oct-15-2012, 12:03pm
I had the pleasure of getting to see Drew Emmitt with Leftover Salmon in Boston last week. It had been a while for me getting to see any show, never mind a Leftover Salmon show! (*If you don't know who Drew Emmitt (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEWV8lZ1FUw) is or Leftover Salmon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJOKN9q1gx8), click the links. Go ahead, you’re going to want to see this.) I have been a huge fan of these "New Grass" or "Jam Grass" players for a long time! A lot of my own mandolin rig is based off the basic idea that Drew (or Sam Bush) use on their own rigs.

(I run a '96 Gibson Flatiron Performer A Style or a '97 David Nicolas F5 with a Fishman M100 pickup -> a Rane AP13 Preamp -> Genz Benz Shenandoah Pro -> (*Sometimes into a few pedals if I do not have my electric mandolin rig setup) -> the house board.:disbelief:)

While I was a touring musician over the past 6 years I found I needed to have all of this gear to be certain that the sound for my gear had some consistency as we went from place to place. It was more than necessity, it was the ONLY way to make it work!

Drew's Mandolin rig is a real testament to that. These guys get a really clear and clean tone out of their amplified acoustic instruments that sound great at loud levels. While I'm quite happy with my own rig right now (*especially because I am no longer a full time musician), I am interested in learning more about Drew (and other "Plugged in Players") setup(s). I have attached a snapshot of Drew's rig. Does anyone know what kind of preamp that is??? I have seen other threads talking about this pickup and that he has an internal mic, but does anyone know exactly what he's using? (*The same question could be asked for Jeff Austin or Sam Bush) (*I know Sam use to have a really kick ass gear list on his page, not just about his mandolins but his rack and amp gear, but I can't seem to find it) Moreover, does anyone have any experience with these stereo rigs? Installing them into your mandolin and working with them in a live setup?

While I'm certain we could all talk for pages about a mandolin being plugged in or mic’d and which is better, this feed is for those of us who want to have a plugged in sound and feel. This is not about better or worse, but rather the preference of becoming a “Plugged In Player.” Feel free to contribute anything relating to plugged in playing, and share your gear setups, ideas on how these guys are getting their sound, and improvements that can be made for plugging in a mandolin in general!
(*I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes!)

Leftover Salmon is not only one of the best live bands I have ever seen, but these guys are some of the most diverse players out there. Even if you don't have anything to contribute to this section, be sure to check them out at Leftover Salmon (http://leftoversalmon.com/) to see some of the best picking around!!!!!
-Matt

This is a snapshot of Drew's Rig. He seems to run his acoustic mandolin and acoustic fiddle into this preamp, and it looks to go direct out to the house board. (*The electric amp is for all of his other instruments.) Any ideas on what that preamp is? :confused:

Pete Braccio
Oct-16-2012, 10:34am
You might have better luck posting this in the "Electrics" (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?53-Four-Five-and-Eight-String-Electrics) section.

Pete

mandroid
Oct-20-2012, 9:52am
I see 2, different, 1 unit rack mount things in a SKB case.

but its a fuzzy phone picture.

almeriastrings
Oct-21-2012, 6:25am
The bottom one is a rack tuner.

I really can't be sure on the top one... from the (fuzzy) details possible, looks like a channel strip: combined pre+EQ+ (maybe) comp

Clear enough, yes, but very "quacky", compressed, unnatural sound going by the video linked.

Sam Bush has, for years, used an old Barcus Berry hot-dot mounted in the bridge with a Countryman Isomax IIC mic.

mandroid
Oct-21-2012, 2:30pm
Read somewhere, Sam splits those, Mic to FOH, piezo to monitors,
where the sound requirements are more pragmatic,

The better tone out front to entertain the paying customers.

pglasse
Oct-22-2012, 9:19am
The top unit is a Chard Stuff AcH104. These units were originally built by Richard Battaglia, Bela Fleck's road manager/sound man. He developed these units back when he was fulfilling the same role for New Grass Revival. So, yes, it's the same unit Sam Bush has also used for years. Richard has been making these for a very long time and many other folks have copied (stolen?) any number of elements from the system. These are very high quality, hand-wired, made in USA, items. They fit one, full width, single rack space.

Here's a link: (http://www.battagliaboys.com/preamp.html)

Justus True Waldron
Oct-22-2012, 9:34am
Clear enough, yes, but very "quacky", compressed, unnatural sound going by the video linked.

I'll second that. To each their own I guess, but I wouldn't go near that tone with a 10' pole!

mandroid
Oct-22-2012, 12:13pm
Like was suggested: if they are are all drunk and partying hard,
'Best' tone only matters to the player..

Hmm ..followed PG's link

'a ôstereoö cord'
(A pretty much made up word)

sounds like a TRS 1/4" plug, on 3 conductor Microphone cable to me..

already use one on the built in Schertler to the AC 60 amp..

Mark Seale
Oct-22-2012, 5:00pm
Hmm ..followed PG's link

(A pretty much made up word)

sounds like a TRS 1/4" plug, on 3 conductor Microphone cable to me..

already use one on the built in Schertler to the AC 60 amp..

I think they're the victim of a character set translation. It should simply say "stereo cord."