PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix trip

mannc385
Oct-14-2012, 1:19pm
Got a chance to visit out west in the Phoenix AZ area and dropped by The Mandolin Store. Even though I got to the store early before their normal opening hours, Dennis came to the door and let me in and made me feel very welcome. Got a chance to look over some very NICE instruments and Dennis said I could try some out if I wanted. I decided that there was just too much of a chance I would ruin the finish with the drool so I thought looking was best. Picked up some new picks to try and got a great T shirt to in the process. I had a very good experience at the store and just wanted to join in with the others on the forum to say that these guys are great to give your business to if the MAS gets the better of you. We also discussed the Musical Instrument Musiem, http://themim.org/, and Dennis said it was worth visiting. He was so right!! There are over 15,000 instuments and anyone who has an interest in music should try to make it over there if you are ever in the area. Plan on at least 4 to 5 hours at least. You get a set of headphones and a reciever and when you get to a display of an instrument you can watch a video of it being played and listen. Very cool.

Kay Kirkpatrick
Oct-15-2012, 9:35am
I was out there and did the same thing in '09, only I went specifically to upgrade. Bryan was there and I believe I was in the shop for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs, allowed to play anything I wanted. Bryan even spent a good 20 minutes playing while I blindly listened to my 3 choices. He was very patient and accomodating and made me feel like I was the only reason their shop was there. Unforunately, I didn't know about the MIM.

Gregory Tidwell
Oct-15-2012, 12:30pm
I just did the same thing earlier this month. They had some great instruments in there. I think I fell in love with a Weber octave I played for a while. And I absolutely could not understand how that lil' old Phoenix sounded so good and played so easily. It defied understanding. I took a co-worker who was traveling with me. He fell in love with a Martin guitar they had there too.

They have a Gibson mandocello sitting front and center, right as you walk in. That thing is pretty.

I just kicked tires that day, but I get to Phoenix enough that I know where I am buying next time.

I also saw the signs for the museum at the airport. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a fun way to kill some time.

Grommet
Oct-15-2012, 5:29pm
Mann- Which ones in Dennis' current inventory appealed to you the most? If you regret not playing or drooling on them too much I might consider making the hour drive and scratciing the itch for you. I haven't visited TMS since the last Four Corners Bluegrass Festival. They were still at their Wickenburg location then. A little closer to Phoenix now. I know I'd like to try the Arches F and the BRW 2-Point. Oh and the Sorenson too!

Scott

mannc385
Oct-17-2012, 1:47pm
Mann- Which ones in Dennis' current inventory appealed to you the most? If you regret not playing or drooling on them too much I might consider making the hour drive and scratciing the itch for you. I haven't visited TMS since the last Four Corners Bluegrass Festival. They were still at their Wickenburg location then. A little closer to Phoenix now. I know I'd like to try the Arches F and the BRW 2-Point. Oh and the Sorenson too!

Scott

Of course there are a couple of the Webers I liked, the Yellowstone and Coyote but I guess my next step would be more like the Kentucky 1500. I have an Eastman 615 so I'm pretty satisfied right now until I get where I can play much better. Thanks for the offer though. Did make it up and make the tour of Wickenburg and got a picture of the jail tree. LOL! I was in Suprise AZ and found out I was close to the TMS store. Just would not have been right to not drop by. I'll be making my next purchase with these guys when I just can't get over MAS and have to have relief.

Grommet
Oct-17-2012, 4:52pm
Good Ice Crean Shoppe/Bakery next door to the Jail Tree!

Scott