PDA

View Full Version : Weber Gallatin vs. Ratliff Country Boy

roberto216
Oct-13-2012, 5:29pm
I'm thinking of getting a US made A-style mandolin and I'm considering the Gallatin and the Country Boy at the moment. I had my hands on a Gallatin and liked it a lot. I've only seen and heard the Ratliff's on Audey's website but they sound great.

They seem pretty equal. The Gallatin I tried had a nice slim neck. Anyone know what the neck is like on the Ratliff's? Any thoughts on one vs the other?

Johnny60
Oct-15-2012, 7:32am
Hi Robert,

I'm afraid I can't help, but I'm also interested to know how these 2 instruments compare.

Willie Poole
Oct-15-2012, 11:58am
I have never played or heard a Gallatin and do not know anything about a "Country Boy" but I do own and play a Ratliff F model mandolin and will say that Audey makes a great mandolin and will stand by his product...I understand he is making an inexpensive mandolin now and that might be the Country Boy...If you can play both and then make up your mind that is the best way to go as peoples opinions on here differ in many ways, some like one brand and some others don`t so trying them is the best way to decide what is best for you....The neck on my Ratliff suits me fine but that may not be what is to your liking....

Sorry I can`t offer any more advice....

Willie

multidon
Oct-16-2012, 9:42am
Never played a Country Boy but they sure look nice in the pictures on Elderly's Web site. If they sound as nice as they look they would be quite a bargain at the 1350 asking price. But alas Elderly does not have it in stock, it is "on order". My experience with Elderly is that it could take forever for them to actually get it. That being said, i have to say that I own a Weber Bitterroot (like a Gallatin with top binding) and it is the nicest sounding and playing instrument I ever wrapped my fingers around! I played a few Webers before I bought mine and I found them to be variable, so I wouldn't buy one sight unseen. But if you get a good one it is a keeper and I don't see how you could do much better. Just as a side thing, and not that important to many people, but they have the added bonus of coming with the best original hard case in the business (IMHO).

Mandomax
Oct-16-2012, 10:01am
I bought a Gallatin a while back and returned it after a week. It just got eaten up in jams. Just a really quiet instrument. I hit hard, so it wasn't due to the instrument being asleep or light touch. Neck was OK, didn't bother my hand, which has happened in the past with flat boards. I say definitely try one before you buy it, or make sure the store has a return policy. YMMV