PDA

View Full Version : Odd form of scroll envy - no f-holes needed

Dave Hicks
Oct-11-2012, 2:07pm
I expect this has to with Ry Cooder clip below.

What are the options for an oval-hole F-style mando for less $$ than a vintage F2 or F4? How are the Eastman and Weber versions of this style?

D.H.

VSpKLgwcXD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSpKLgwcXD8

JEStanek
Oct-11-2012, 2:22pm
I liked my Eastman 814 a lot. It didn't sound exactly like an old Gibson but it also had tone bars AND a transverse brace. If you go Weber, be careful and ensure you want an integrated fingerboard (not raised) and a 12th fret neck to body join instead of 14-15 to get a more tradtional sound. Many of the Weber ovals have the elevated board and longer neck.

Granted an Eastman F-oval will cost considerably less than a Weber and have a very different neck profile.

If you're willing to spend upwards of $4-5K (approaching vintage F2/F4 prices) there are several small shop builders who can accomodate you as well. Under $2K your options are more limited.

Jamie

Folkmusician.com
Oct-11-2012, 7:46pm
The Eastman oval holes are very nice instruments. If you dont mind a less traditional approach the Breedlove OF is another good option.

Mike Snyder
Oct-11-2012, 8:13pm
I like the Weber ovals. Not a fan of the f-hole Webers, but they seem to have hit upon a combination that works well with the ovals. They are not aiming at any sort of re-creation of the old Gibsons, you'll need to go to Gail Hester or Mike Black for that (among a few others, but I like Mike and Gail seems serious about authenticity). They sound nice and have good volume.
I see some fairly priced F2s fairly frequently, but the F4s are pricey if they haven't been trashed. Weber does NOT give their stuff away either. Loose the scroll and points and you can have a vintage oval-hole Gibson in playable condition for 1K. Maintenance will be more on the old ones, less on new. Duh!

mandobassman
Oct-11-2012, 8:19pm
The Eastman oval holes are very nice instruments. If you dont mind a less traditional approach the Breedlove OF is another good option.

I think Robert meant to say "Breedlove OO". The OF is a F-hole model.

JeffD
Oct-11-2012, 9:56pm
F2 and F4s are among the most beautiful mandolins in the world. IMO

Dave Hicks
Oct-12-2012, 7:27am
Thanks to all for your comments. I might be able to get up to Elderly in the near future and check out some Eastmans (though they don't seem to have any in stock right now), but they don't seem to stock Weber F-ovals.

F2 and F4s are among the most beautiful mandolins in the world. IMO

Now cut that out! :)

Dave Hicks
Oct-12-2012, 7:31am
... Loose the scroll and points and you can have a vintage oval-hole Gibson in playable condition for 1K. Maintenance will be more on the old ones, less on new. Duh!

Got my eye on a few of those, too.

D.H.

Pete Jenner
Oct-12-2012, 10:56am
I just picked up an Eastman MD504 today. Now that I have it home, I have decided I don't like the short fat neck and I have an overwhelming urge to apply paint stripping gel to the nitro. The neck joins the body between the 9th and 10th frets.

Could it be what you are looking for though? I bought it for the sound. The 604 is the flashy version.

The case is nice.;)

Dave Hicks
Oct-12-2012, 11:35am
I just picked up an Eastman MD504 today. Now that I have it home, I have decided I don't like the short fat neck and I have an overwhelming urge to apply paint stripping gel to the nitro. The neck joins the body between the 9th and 10th frets.

Could it be what you are looking for though? I bought it for the sound. The 604 is the flashy version.

The case is nice.;)

Thanks, but probably not - if I go for an A-oval, it would be an old Gibson. (And, in general, I'd prefer an older instrument that has opened up/been broken in/been broke t'ride.)
D.H.

Pete Jenner
Oct-12-2012, 11:58am
Thanks, but probably not - if I go for an A-oval, it would be an old Gibson. (And, in general, I'd prefer an older instrument that has opened up/been broken in/been broke t'ride.

D.H.

Haha - I think you mean worn out.

Folkmusician.com
Oct-12-2012, 12:55pm
I think Robert meant to say "Breedlove OO". The OF is a F-hole model.

I actually meant FO. I was posting from the iPhone. :grin:

Ron McMillan
Oct-13-2012, 2:54am
There was a recent thread about a Lebeda F4 that is for sale at TAMCO (http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/245x368/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/_/l_c.jpg) in England. Mouth-wateringly attractive to those of us struck by that particular strain of the acquisition syndrome.

ron

nickster60
Oct-13-2012, 5:41am
Jamie
I also believed the neck profile on a Eastman would much different than my Weber. I played one locally that was for sale and was very surprised how similar it was to my Bitteroot. A little slimmer but a very similar shape. I guess there really isn't and substitution for just sitting down and playing.

almeriastrings
Oct-16-2012, 10:32pm
Here's a couple of mine... very different beasts from a F-hole instrument, but definitely have a charm all of their own.

This is a Mark Franzke, and does have quite a bit of that "Gibson" type sound.

Any guesses as to what this is?

Played a couple of Eastmans and I thought they were pretty good. The Weber's also.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-17-2012, 2:14am
The Weber 'Beartooth" "A" style Oval hole mandolin that i used to own,was possibly the very loudest mandolin that i've played to date.Coupled with a beautifully rounded tone,it was superb.The only reason that i had to part with it was because the neck was warped,so i part-ex'd it for my Lebeda.If i'd been able to afford it,i'd have bought it back after Trevor at TAMCO got it put right.
Blueron mentions the beautiful Lebeda F4 for sale at TAMCO.It belonged to a friend of a fellow UK 'Cafe member who's played it.He describes it as a beautiful sounding instrument. If i had the cash,it would be sitting alongside my own Lebeda,
Ivan

grassrootphilosopher
Oct-17-2012, 4:29am
Here's a couple of mine... very different beasts from a F-hole instrument, but definitely have a charm all of their own.
Any guesses as to what this is?

IŽd say Bluett.

Dave Hicks
Oct-17-2012, 6:53am

Location on the label says York, PA, so Bluett, I suppose. Lovely, but too high dollar for me.

D.H.

almeriastrings
Oct-17-2012, 10:15am
Yep, it's a Bluett.

Really immaculate craftsmanship - and it doesn't sound too shabby, either....