PDA

View Full Version : 1917 Gibson Model A

Blacknewt
Oct-11-2012, 10:09am

This is my 1917 Gibson Model A, serial #39684. It is missing the pick guard, but otherwise in terrific shape, The sound is incredible.

This instrument walked up to my front door. I guy I used to paint my basement was given this mandolin as partial payment for work he had done for an elderly couple who didn't have the money to pay him. He accepted it as partial payment and then tried to sell it without much success (I have no idea why).

He recalled seeing guitars and mandolins at my house and stopped by to see if I would have an interest. I did. I told him it could be worth more than he was asking. But he said he just wanted to get out of it what was due him, $500. I snapped it up on the spot.

Chip Booth
Oct-11-2012, 10:15am
Score!

journeybear
Oct-11-2012, 10:34am
Really! I've got one myself, SN 37492, so I guess mine is a bit older. Saw it on ebay while searching for my stolen F-12. (No such luck.) Again and again I'd bid on something, and the pricwe would go out of my range. Somehow for once no one bid on one I was interested in, and I got it - at a bit under usual market price, but still nearly twice what you paid - you lucky so-and-so! This was just like my first mandolin - full, rich sound, strong in the lower register, and it sounded so good right out of the box, even with the old strings on it, that I literally walked it from the music shop to where it had been shipped over to where I was playing that evening and put it right to work. It's got a bit of finish gooberage to the right of the soundhole and also a hairline crack in the top (since been glued), neither of which seem to affect the sound. I do still have the pick guard from my first mandolin, in deep storage, if I ever want to go that route. (I don't; it rattles.) Oh, and I had a 1/4" endpin jack installed for the Fishman bridge pickup, for convenience's sake.

OK, there, that's my story. Yours is a bit better. ;) Have fun with it! Looks like a keeper.

JeffD
Oct-11-2012, 10:48am
1917 Gibson Model A, serial #39684. It is missing the pick guard, but otherwise in terrific shape, The sound is incredible...

I snapped it up on the spot.

Good job. That is a mandolin you can be happy with for the rest of your life. Enjoy the potatoes out of it.

I usually have all my mandolins and fiddles away in closets when I have workers over the house. I just don't care to have relative strangers know the goodies are around my house (complete with cases and carry handles). But now reading of your experience, I wonder what opportunities I have missed!

I see a low post number, so let me say welcome to the cafe, and look forward to yakkin with you in the future.

Bill Clements
Oct-11-2012, 12:35pm
With your current run of luck, I recommend you start buying lottery tickets right away!
Congrats on your find and enjoy that Gibson.

Denny Gies
Oct-11-2012, 12:47pm
Good call.

brunello97
Oct-11-2012, 5:33pm
I love these kind of stories. Painter was happy. You're happy. And it is a happy tale to tell.

Mick

Charles E.
Oct-11-2012, 6:07pm
Kind of like a stray dog that showes up at your door, all of a sudden you have a true friend. That mandolin found you. Enjoy!

EdHanrahan
Oct-11-2012, 6:09pm
Nice! And probably even smart for BOTH of you.

Murphy Slaw
Oct-12-2012, 7:51am
Wow.

I hear you about the sound. My old Gibby has a haunting ring at times. Almost ghostly.

I think it's Scotty.........

davidwood
Oct-12-2012, 8:31am
That's incredible.. but in a good way. :-)

Blacknewt
Oct-12-2012, 4:48pm
[QUOTE=Blacknewt;1095106]92636

This is my 1917 Gibson Model A, serial #39684.

*I transposed the numbers when typing, the serial number is 36984.

Blacknewt
Oct-12-2012, 4:49pm
I transposed two of the numbers. The actual serial # is 36984.

Chief
Oct-13-2012, 3:46pm
Looks exactly like my 1917 Gibson. I also paid twice as much for mine on this site. Mine has a K and K pickup and a newer case. They have a wonderful tone.

woodwizard
Oct-13-2012, 4:01pm
Ding, ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ! Jackpot! Congrats!
Hope you have years of enjoyment ... I really dig my A4 serial #49458

Darren Bailey
Oct-13-2012, 4:07pm
Sounds a little like the story behind my Gilchrist. An old neighbour had been visiting Australia and came back saying they'd lost his luggage and the customs folk insisted on refunding him for his lost underwear with a homegrown product. His poor arthritic fingers couldn't cope with the tension of a mandolin and he offered it to me in exchange for three sets of jockeys and an undershirt.
No, of course it didn't happen. I'm just very envious of your good fortune.