PDA

View Full Version : Sobell info

gw16
Oct-11-2012, 1:26am
Hi all, I purchased a Sobell mandolin a couple of days ago off Ebay in order to help quench a 10 + year lust for one. I actually had one on order with Stefan for years during the mid 2000's but ended up cancelling it as it was 2 or 3 years into the wait with no sign of a start date in the near future. FYI, he was always a complete gentleman and returned my deposit with no issues whatsoever when I asked to be taken off the list. Anyway, I'm trying to date this thing and near as I can figure it appears to be late 70's to me from the style of his label inside. The one thing that I'm a bit unsure of is I've never seen one of his mando's with a fingerboard extension. Has anyone else seen one like this? I'm just being e-paranoid maybe but I've never bought an instrument off eBay before so I'm a bit weirded out waiting for this thing to arrive (estimated another nearly two weeks). Everything looked legit to me but I thought I'd throw it out there to those who may have more first hand experience with his instruments. I have a strong suspicion that this may be the very same instrument I'd nearly bought from Elderly years ago but it had some issues (truss rod was maxed out I was told). At the time I was expecting one from Stefan as well so I decided to wait. As a side note, does anyone have a suggestion to someone who could make a case for this instrument? It's being shipped with a gig bag.... (shudders and worries with good cause....) Thanks to any who reply.

Cheers,
Glenn

trevor
Oct-11-2012, 2:59am
Hi Glenn,

Why not check it out with Stefan?

gw16
Oct-11-2012, 3:03am
Hi Glen,

Why not check it out with Stefan?

Yes, I very well might do that - I just didn't want to bug him as I know he's a busy guy. If I don't get any luck on here I'll definitely contact him. Thanks for the reply!

liestman
Oct-11-2012, 9:44am
I have one from roughly the same year and it is wonderful. I have never seen a fingerboard or tuners like that one has. I would definitely inquire to Stefan. He has always been good at supporting his instruments and providing information.

Ray(T)
Oct-11-2012, 10:19am
I was thinking the same - check with him. But does the label give a clue? That isn't Stefan's current address. It must be 30 years since I last met him and he was at his current address in those days. Then there's the 'phone number - that's an old style UK number with the number preceded by the name of the exchange. We haven't used those for many years.

gw16
Oct-11-2012, 11:06am
I have one from roughly the same year and it is wonderful. I have never seen a fingerboard or tuners like that one has. I would definitely inquire to Stefan. He has always been good at supporting his instruments and providing information.

Hi John, thanks for the info! Yeah the tuners looked bizarre to me (no clue what these are!) but I did find one on the Dream Guitars site this morning in their "previously sold" section that has the same little "star" tuners so that was reassuring.

gw16
Oct-11-2012, 11:18am
Thanks Ray, yes that's how I gauged this was by looking at examples of his work that was dated early 80's and the address was his current one. I actually found a bit on his site this morning that states that he moved to his current location in 1980 so I would guess this would be from the 70's. I'll definitely contact Stefan in a couple of weeks when it arrives and I can look at it first hand. Thanks again everyone for chiming in.

BBarton
Oct-13-2012, 12:40pm
I saw that one, but too late -- lucky you!!

gw16
Oct-13-2012, 1:14pm
I saw that one, but too late -- lucky you!!

Hopefully lucky me! I did end up talking with Stefan and in his words "I hope you had a chance to examine it carefully before you committed as some of these haven't survived well..." (which of course I didn't). It should be here early in the week so time will tell.

cayuga red
Oct-16-2012, 6:50pm
Can't go wrong with a Sobell. Good luck.

gw16
Oct-16-2012, 10:37pm
Mando arrived today safe and sound. No case so if anyone has any suggestions on who would make one, I'd really appreciate it. I think the strings were original...lol. Changed them up and gave it a good cleaning and its ready to go. Sounds killer and is in great shape. This is definitely from the 70's and is a bit rough around the edges but it sounds amazing. Bags of sustain and tone. An incredible deal and I couldnt be happier.

Cheers all,
Glenn