PDA

View Full Version : New Guy...

andyschwartz
Oct-06-2012, 7:57pm
Hey there!

I'm Andy, and I have been lurking here for a week or so now, thought I'd introduce myself.

I graduated from Roberto-Venn School of luthiery back in 1995, taught a few classes there, then sadly left instrument making for a different career altogether. Really sad...I know. It has been ages since I have built anything, but one of the instruments I have always kept at playing on and off is my crappy Epiphone MM30 Mandolin I received as a gift in 1993. I Know...I Know...Hardly a luthier's instrument, but it is something to keep me playing an instrument I love.

I am at a point where I have been playing regularly, and the Epiphone is hardly playable anymore with its Bowed Neck, Bottomed saddle, and of course impossibly high string action as a result. So I turned to the web to meet some players, learn new music, and learn about what's what in today's Mandolins, and look for an upgrade.

I am sure i'll be asking questions while I shop and learn, and I have already found so much incredible information sharing here. I look forward to the conversations.

Thanks,
Andy

P.s. Any other Grads of R-V out there?

Folkmusician.com
Oct-06-2012, 8:24pm
Welcome Andy,

Good to have you! If you haven't been in the instrument world for a while, one major change is the quality of the current generation of lower priced instruments. The quality is steadily improving. Any Kentucky, Eastman or The loar will make a nice player. They will also give you a chance to brush up on your setup skills. That is one area they haven't improved. :)

JEStanek
Oct-06-2012, 8:51pm
Welcome to the Cafe. There are also plenty of good kits you can choose from to more affordably build your own, since you have the skills. Look into a Siminoff kit. They are excellent and are ready for several levels of build experience.

Jamie

shortymack
Oct-06-2012, 9:12pm
Hi Andy.

I've got a bottom of the barrel mando too, but ya know what, it don't keep me from bangin' out the tunes with a smile on my face. :)
Good luck on your search and welcome back in the saddle!

andyschwartz
Oct-06-2012, 9:41pm
Thanks for the welcome(s)!!

There are also plenty of good kits you can choose from to more affordably build your own, since you have the skills.

I'll have to have a look at those. I just don't have much tooling anymore, but I would LOVE to, just to get dirty again ;) !

...one major change is the quality of the current generation of lower priced instruments. The quality is steadily improving. Any Kentucky, Eastman or The loar will make a nice player. They will also give you a chance to brush up on your setup skills. That is one area they haven't improved. :)

It's funny, I found a local shop just today that had an Eastman MD815 and The Loar LM700 side by side. I could tell the Eastman had been there for a while, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE in tone from my Epi. I am leaning that direction anyway. Neither were setup all that well, but the feel of the Eastman was very nice!!

Of course then the owner comes in and hands me a well cared for 30's F4 and I had a hard time putting it down. *sigh*

Hi Andy.

I've got a bottom of the barrel mando too, but ya know what, it don't keep me from bangin' out the tunes with a smile on my face. :)

@shortymack That is what's important!!

JEStanek
Oct-06-2012, 10:06pm
Andy there is also the International Violin kits that use minimal tools as well you can look at. You'll likely want to use different tuners on that one.

Jamie

andyschwartz
Oct-07-2012, 3:06pm
Andy there is also the International Violin kits that use minimal tools as well you can look at. You'll likely want to use different tuners on that one.

Jamie

Are there forum members who have built from these kits? Maybe I'll start a thread.

Hobo
Oct-07-2012, 4:55pm
My son has built 2 of those Saga kits. He did some upgrades on them both – they sound remarkable nice. Here's a photo he posted on Facebook and a sound file he sent me.... I'm impressed with how they turned out and how they sound.

http://soundcloud.com/hobo-hobo/bobby-caseys-hornpipe-humours/s-QnCZX

Astro
Oct-07-2012, 6:53pm
Sounds great ! Awesome chops to boot !!

I would get one of those, if I didn't have to build it :redface: