PDA

View Full Version : Email or phone numbers for ads

mandomedic
Oct-04-2012, 3:34pm
Never mind.

allenhopkins
Oct-04-2012, 7:49pm
I love these extended discussions; so much to contribute...!

MikeEdgerton
Oct-04-2012, 7:58pm
I'm not sure, what does everyone else think?

Charlieshafer
Oct-04-2012, 7:59pm
well, maybe one or the other...

f5loar
Oct-04-2012, 8:11pm
I think you should do both.

DerTiefster
Oct-04-2012, 8:47pm
well, maybe one or the other...Oh, there's no "maybe" about it...it's definitely one or the other. but both is OK, too.

When I'm trying to sell something (which is rare), I like email for initial contact, and a phone conversation to wrap up things. Just me. When I buy something, I'm quite comfortable with the same: email for initial contact, phone to continue. Of course, I may be taking this discussion too seriously.....

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-05-2012, 3:43am
Don't you have to be a 'Cafe member to place an ad. ?. If so,it should be made as easy as possible for any would be buyer to contact the ad.owner by sending a PM. A link to a PM address in the Classifieds would do it. E-mail addresses in the 'wrong hands' can be dynamite.You can trawl through the 'Cafe posts without being a member, & my thoughts are that the less personal info.to be seen by outsiders,the better.You can always respond to a private message & if you're convinced that the person sending the PM is genuine,then by all means provide them with your e-mail address or phone number.
My reason for being very wary re.handing out my e-mail address, is that several months ago,over 45,000 e-mail addresse were 'stolen' from Facebook in the UK. Many of these e-mail addresses had friend's names attached.This makes it very easy for a scammer to send an e-mail to somebody,posing as the 'friend',having attached a 'key-logger or some other spyware /virus to the e-mail. I always think of the old Hill Steet Blues adage 'Be careful out there !',:disbelief:
Ivan;)

G7MOF
Oct-05-2012, 3:59am
I've got something to ad. :grin:

MikeEdgerton
Oct-05-2012, 7:57am
Indecision may or may not be my problem on this.

JEStanek
Oct-05-2012, 3:59pm
You do not have to be a forum member to place a classified ad. The classifieds get much more traffic than the forums.

Jamie

mandroid
Oct-05-2012, 4:18pm
I like the way emails don't ring at dinner time .. :whistling:

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-06-2012, 3:05am
Thanks for that info.Jamie. I used to be indecisive,but now i'm not so sure !,
Ivan:grin:

Bill Clements
Oct-08-2012, 11:21pm
I was going to ad something funny but my phone's ringing and I have an email to read so never mind. :mandosmiley:

Eddie Sheehy
Oct-09-2012, 5:43pm
I think you should email your phone number or, or leave your email address on the answering machine - best of both worlds...