PDA

View Full Version : Lunasa AND Dervish

Avi Ziv
Jan-10-2005, 9:30am
Just found out that both Lunasa and Dervish will share a show on March 2nd at the B.B. King Blues club in NYC. I snapped up tickets as soon as I saw it. Would be fun to meet some of you if you go too.

Llink to the schedule and tickets (http://www.bbkingblues.com/schedule/moreinfo.cgi?id=2269)

Avi

Avi Ziv
Mar-02-2005, 8:27am
I thought perhaps I put the first posting too early for people to notice. The show is tonight and I'd love to say hi to anyone who is going. I'll be there in glasses, brown pony tail, and a beard. Blond companion too. Please stop by and introduce yourself. I'll also be at the Liz Carroll show at Satallah in NYC on the 19th.

Avi

Mandolin-AL
Mar-12-2005, 8:21pm
met the lads from Lunasa when they did a Gig and a workshop here in Aberdeen they are fantastic great bunch i urge anyone to go see thees lads if they are playing in a town near you tis a night you wont forget in a hurry

Mandolin-AL

Miragliuolo
Mar-14-2005, 7:32pm
Howdy folks,
I just saw Lunasa last Friday March 11th in Keene, New Hampshire. Wow what a show. I'm listening to one of the cds (the merry sisters of fate) I bought at the show, right now. I'm work on #mandolin parts for the songs so that I will be prepared to go on tour with them if they should ever happen to ask me. I wish. Take it easy.

Mike

Mandolin-AL
Mar-15-2005, 8:22pm
Mike I know what ye mean ........I asked them if they needed a Bodhran Player when they did there workshop here in Aberdeen I just got Blank stares.......theres always next time hahaha

Mandolin-AL

Avi Ziv
Mar-15-2005, 8:49pm
I had a great time at the Lunasa/Dervish show in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Sitting 6 feet from the stage was a treat. It was very interesting to see and feel the difference between the two groups side by side. Lunasa, being a supergroup, showcased individuals as much as the ensemble playing. Dervish, I thought, had the edge on being a cohesive Band. Lunasa played first, Dervish next and then they came back together for a couple of sets. That took a bit of doing since Dervish is tuned 1/2 a tone up so they had to figure out who was going to re-tune. The mandola/bouzouki duo in Dervish is fascinating. They have their parts worked out so well and they seem effortless in their playing. Of course Cathy Jordan is something else! I thought that the venue (B.B King Blues Club) was completely inappropriate though. The atmosphere and food prices were too uptown but the sound was just plain bad. I don't know if these bands brought with them their own sound tech or not but they had problems. Besides bad mic cables, and monitor settings that irritated the musicians, the mix in the audience was muddy. Luckily their enthusiasm and musicality made up for the technical difficulties.

This Sat night it's Liz Carrol and John Doyle #in NYC. I can't wait.

Avi