PDA

View Full Version : Trinity College?

mmukav
Feb-22-2004, 10:59pm
Hi everyone--just wanted to know your opinion on Trinity College mandos--I'm actually looking to buy one of their bouzoukis but wondered if anyone had played their mandos and what they thought of them. Thanks

pathfinder
Feb-23-2004, 12:30am
I don't play bouzouki, octave mando or mandocello, but I've noodled with 3-4 of their 'longnecks' at music stores in Toronto. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a straight Trinity College mandolin. #

Anyway, FWIW, they had an OK sound for a starter instrument. #Not as nice as the Weber mandocello I played at Elderly last summer, but not the same pricetag either!

The construction quality wasn't great but OK, I guess, if you want to branch out to bouzouki. #I don't know how they stack up as far as resale value goes. ##

I believe they're made in the Far East, not that I'm trashing Pac Rim products, many of which are quite good! #

I'd say go for it. #Heck, they're reasonably priced, and as the old saying goes, 'No guts, no glory!" #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

pathfinder
Feb-23-2004, 12:35am
Just another thought, mmukav. #To get better feedback, perhaps you should transfer this thread to 'Looking for Information on Mandolins'. #Just a thought. #Good luck.

Steve L
Feb-23-2004, 6:45am
I would actually post in the CBOM section as that's where most of us bouzouki players tend to lurk. Anyway, I've got a TC bouzouki and, for the money, it's a good way to discover if a long scale instrument is for you. Just about any decent flatback with that scale length would be 3-5 times more expensive. There are more price point options with octave mandolins vs. 'zouks but before you call Joe Foley or Stephan Sobell, you might want to play a Trinity College to see if you like the long scale.

Never played on of their mandolins...I would probably get a Mid Mo before I'd get a TC mandolin though.

danb
Feb-23-2004, 6:48am
I think they are decent starter instruments, but they don't have particularly appealing tone if that's something you really are in to. It'll get you going, but I'd look about, lots of inexpensive builders make very nice instruments that will inspire you quite a bit more.

mmukav
Feb-23-2004, 10:11am
Thanks guys--all the info is very informative--I'll think it over.