PDA

View Full Version : What do you play when you want to impress?

Ryan H
Oct-01-2012, 10:30pm
Situation:
You are walking in your neighborhood with your mandolin in it's case, and your neighbor sees you and says, 'Wow, what do you have in the case?'
When you bring it out of the case to show him what the mando is all about, and why it is a great instrument, what do you play?

Glassweb
Oct-01-2012, 10:56pm
An open G minor chord... with gusto!

Jim Bevan
Oct-01-2012, 11:13pm
Depends on the audience :popcorn:

Either Skip Parente's~The Hag At The Spinning Wheel
or Bach's Dm Giga

sgarrity
Oct-01-2012, 11:45pm
The radio! :))

Bertram Henze
Oct-02-2012, 3:30am
In that situation, my neighbor would say "so that's where all that pling pling is coming from that ruins our sundays!"
Then, I could make a physical impression, but I am not into brawling. :cool:

Trent Crawford
Oct-02-2012, 3:39am
Smoke On The Water! ; )

OR

Cherokee Shuffle

: )

AlanN
Oct-02-2012, 5:15am
An open G minor chord... with gusto!

Make that a Gm9!

John Flynn
Oct-02-2012, 6:12am
Situation:
You are walking in your neighborhood with your mandolin in it's case, and your neighbor sees you and says, 'Wow, what do you have in the case?'

In my neighborhood, that would mean I was about get robbed! :cool:

Seriously, I actually asked an instructor I had once to teach me a tune for just this purpose. My criteria were: A tune that sounds really impressive, but is actually not that hard to play and also not well known. My reasoning on the "not well known" is that if you are trying to impress, you don't want to play a tune everyone knows, because then you are going to get mentally compared to others' playing of that tune. If you have an esoteric tune, you can be a standard of one. I actually got two tunes like that out of him.

One was a tune called "Flying Indian," an old-time breakdown. It's not that impressive a tune by itself, but his arrangement of it uses a lot of double stops and just really makes the mandolin roar. I have had a lot of people ask me to teach it to them. The other tune is "Lamplighter's Hornpipe." This is a tune that can be played really fast fairly easily and sounds very cool. It does have a couple of tricky turnarounds, but once you get those down, the tune is a breeze, but it sounds more difficult than it really is.

Ryan H
Oct-02-2012, 8:47am
That is what I'm looking for, in particular. Something with lots of double stops, lots of neat sounding turn arounds, something that makes the mandolin sing outside of an ensemble situation.

Markus
Oct-02-2012, 9:06am
When I play out, I often warm up with Bluegrass Stomp. Easy bluesy tune, sounds ok solo, works in BG context plus with my blues rock group.

Short enough so you can take it through a few times (once straight, once double stops, once wild improv, restate melody) and have it done soon.

I'd love to have something with the firepower John talks of, but I have too many performance tunes to focus on now.

Justus True Waldron
Oct-02-2012, 9:33am
For some reason I wind up playing waltzes or something else slow that I can use lots of slides and double stops - Ookpik Waltz etc. Or something super clean and pretty - Chris Thile's Jessamyn's Reel. Or if I really just want to rip I'll usually pull out Gold Rush for some reason. After IBMA I think I need some new mando try-out tunes, I'm kind of getting sick of the old ones!

Ryan H
Oct-02-2012, 9:57am
All good stuff. Keep them coming.

pjlama
Oct-02-2012, 10:03am
Bass

pjlama
Oct-02-2012, 10:12am
Whoops, I didn't read the part about it being mandolin specific... I don't try to impress. If I take it out of it's case and show it to somebody that hasn't heard me play I just go through my usual warm-up stuff. Hopefully my ability comes through no matter what I'm playing. I do feel like I have a strong rhythmic foundation and a fair amount of facility although my mandolin repertoire is a bit limited. Like they say "it is what it is". That said, I'm twice the bass player I am mandolin player, that's the one that gets the wows.

JeffD
Oct-02-2012, 10:22am
I play a bit of Bach's Brandedburg V in D. Most everyone has heard it before, even if they don't know what it is or where it comes from. Its recognizable, but not so much that anyone can tell if I make a clam or two. And its not that hard. Its a good warm up exercise.

I think, for the stated purpose, classical is best, because with the diversity of musical tastes among casual musical consumers, its a not likely you are going to play something they know or like, but classical always sounds "serious" to them. If you can play classial you must be good. Whether or not you actually are. To the non-musician casual musical consumer it sounds like what music is supposed to sound like. Most folks wouldn't know or recognize any bluegrass, or old timey, or folk, so playing anything like that gets me the blank "isn't that nice" stare.

Also if you play something classical, they won't ask for a second piece, and you can get on with your day. Whereas if they are a gigantic Andy Williams fan, and you just happened to play Moon River, well, you are going to get 2 or 3 more requests, that you probably haven't prepared.

fatt-dad
Oct-02-2012, 10:29am
I let the spirit move me. That said, there are likely a dozen or so tunes that'd whip out for the neighbors (i.e., if they asked). Almost all of them old-time fiddle tunes.

f-d

catmandu2
Oct-02-2012, 10:37am
Rags

yankees1
Oct-02-2012, 10:41am
I'm not in the position nor do I want to impress anyone other than myself !

Bob Clark
Oct-02-2012, 10:46am
How about E. Jenkinson's Elves Dance? Fast and fun, and they probably won't know it.

Mandolin Mick
Oct-02-2012, 10:59am
If they're Bluegrassers I play something by Bill Monroe like Rawhide or Old Ebenezer Scrooge. If they're into Classical I play Czardas. If they're older people who aren't musicians I play a movie theme like Doctor Zhivago or the Godfather. If it's my granddaughter I play something happy like Grandfather's Clock or Home Sweet Home. So, I guess it depends on my audience! :)

JeffD
Oct-02-2012, 11:26am
Theme from Godfather is a good choice. I get asked for that a lot.

farmerjones
Oct-02-2012, 11:32am
Sort of happened last Sat. i was handed an Army/Navy Pancake. (i just love those) I gave it a two finger G, followed by a two finger C, then i played Frog on the Lillipad (C) twice through. I'm not one that thinks two finger chords are second rate. I love that open string ring, especially on a oval hole mandolin. What was the question? :)

Austin Bob
Oct-02-2012, 11:39am
I like the Godfather Theme, followed by a bad impression of Brando. I tell the audience I got a great deal on this mandolin, "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse."

JEStanek
Oct-02-2012, 11:52am
iPod. Or if I have to play, I'll strum a two finger G, C, D, G progression then the A part of one of the handful of songs I can passably play. (Usually would be Liberty, Tree Of Life, Scarbourogh Fair, or God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen).

Jamie

mandopete
Oct-02-2012, 12:11pm
Tune.

Fran
Oct-02-2012, 1:16pm
Swallowtail Jig

jaycat
Oct-02-2012, 1:25pm
A passable rendition of Arkansas Traveler is about my speed, and of course is a really fun tune.

Astro
Oct-02-2012, 1:30pm
The radio. :redface:

jesserules
Oct-02-2012, 2:47pm
Free bird!

John Adrihan
Oct-02-2012, 7:20pm
If their just fans and are not really into bluegrass, I do like I did when I played guitar; I played Stairway to heaven then... so now I play Rawhide:crying:

Clockwork John
Oct-02-2012, 7:20pm
Some ITM that I can pick out quickly and confidently, that is flashy enough to impress, but simple enough to play well. Usually The Irish Rover, I'll Tell Me Ma, or A Nation Once Again. Maybe something by The Pogues or The Tossers if it's somebody who might recognize it.

re simmers
Oct-02-2012, 8:12pm
If a laptop is close I will go to youtube and get Sam Bush playing "Girl from the North Country."

If they insist, I'll play How Great Thou Art in A with as many triple+ stops as possible and let the strings ring out.

Bob

Jean Fugal
Oct-02-2012, 8:16pm
If you are playing to impress someone then you have it all wrong (smile)

catmandu2
Oct-02-2012, 8:47pm
If you are playing to impress someone then you have it all wrong (smile)

People are always impressed, though, whether we intend it or not. Music performance is part "show-business"--it's customary to have some show pieces at hand--numbers that convey excitement, evocativeness, and are entertaining in a succinct delivery

almeriastrings
Oct-03-2012, 12:04am
A couple to show it off in two very different styles. Often "Daybreak in Dixie" (Mark O'Connor version) and Tennessee Blues (Monroe). If the have not escaped by the end of those, something like "Lonesome Moonlight Waltz" is another good one.

azflyman
Oct-03-2012, 7:07am
...so now I play Rawhide

^^^ This ^^^

Denny Gies
Oct-03-2012, 7:20am
Probably the Arab Bounce. I'd rather play Rawhide but I stink on that one.

Ryan H
Oct-03-2012, 9:10am
This is all great stuff, thanks for all the suggestions. This question came about after a real-life situation where my neighbor actually asked me what was in the case. When I pulled it out, I was at a loss at what to play.
I only know about a half dozen tunes from memory, and none of them are all that impressive to play without a guitar or another instrument playing with you.

Dave Reiner
Oct-03-2012, 10:19am
Depends on the listener. Chinese Breakdown, Tam Linn, Round the Horn, Old Daingerfield, Flatbush Waltz, Chief O'Neill's Favorite, Fascination, Goofus, Inisheer, Maid Behind the Bar, Stringtown, 28th of January, Ragtime Annie, Miller's Reel, ... Or one of my own compositions, like Butter Side Down, Out the Window, Dave's Bulgar, or Slider's Reel.

Dave

bobby bill
Oct-03-2012, 10:26am
Free bird!

Wait. Let me get my Bic out.

catmandu2
Oct-03-2012, 10:45am
This is all great stuff, thanks for all the suggestions. This question came about after a real-life situation where my neighbor actually asked me what was in the case. When I pulled it out, I was at a loss at what to play.
I only know about a half dozen tunes from memory, and none of them are all that impressive to play without a guitar or another instrument playing with you.

Yep--repertoire is a good consideration. Much of my performing has been solo--so I've got tunes that tend to stand alone well. It's probably entertaining for folks to hear a few bars of some fiddle tunes, but my choice usually is to play a tune, such as a rag, that contains more overall musicality and hamonic development--just my preference, probably having come up through the solo guitar tradition. I would tend towrd "classical" pieces too--but I don't play these on mandolin. Dance-derived pieces, I've found, play well in this context (again, perhaps another reason why rags succeed): I've played a lot of banjo over the years--I've had lots of opportunity to compare bluegrass Scruggs-style and clawhammer in personal encounters--and observe reactions. Folks are always impressed--at least initially--with 3-finger bajo picking, but I find that the vast majority of people enjoy hearing frailing stlye--it's a dance form

People often don't seem interested in hearing a Bach piece--even though to me it's far and away the most interesting thing to play and what I, myself, would want to hear. I think I can understand why--perhaps, they aren't receptive to the larger harmonic development, or the more extensive melodic path--it's probably boring, musically, for many people. Environment seems to play a large role in what you're serving up...but some tunes always seem to satisfy--for me, rags are always well-received

I'm into jazz standards, so I'll play an entire song--an easily recognizable standard. Of course, this would probably be as boring as Bach for many young cohorts

jackmalonis
Oct-03-2012, 11:33am
People often don't seem interested in hearing a Bach piece--even though to me it's far and away the most interesting thing to play and what I, myself, would want to hear. I think I can understand why--perhaps, they aren't receptive to the larger harmonic development, or the more extensive melodic path--it's probably boring, musically, for many people.

It's funny, I've found the exact same thing about playing Bach for people (not that I'm just a stellar classical mandolinist to begin wtih). I feel like it's only appreciated by musicians or people who recognize and are familiar with the piece.
My Violin/viola/cello/bass friends always enjoy hearing a Mandolin's take on the Bach sonatas or Partitas. They commonly express their jealousy of notes that "ring out" and the ability to play chords "all at once."

The rest of my friends, when they hear me play Bach just say "Go back to playing your really fast redneck music!" :))

Ed Goist
Oct-03-2012, 11:56am
An Andy Statman or Chris Thile CD.

bratsche
Oct-03-2012, 11:59am
Well, I will almost always play Bach in this hypothetical scenario, since it's what I carry around a couple hours worth of in my head, as opposed to less than 15 minutes worth of any other stuff combined. Bach is mainly what made me want to pluck in the first place, for many of the reasons Jack's classical friends express jealousy. And I think this perspective has made me play Bach better, and understand him more than I did when just playing him on bowed instruments. as well.

The only 'audiences' I've played for to any extent are at the nursing home where my Dad is. When I plan to go up for a visit visit, I ask him whether I should bring the viola or the mandola, and lately he much prefers the mandola. He and his fellow residents love it when I play Bach, and they always engage and ask me tons of questions between pieces and when I'm done. But when I'm here at home and the weather is nice, I will play in front of my house. The neighbors all see me and hear from a distance, and occasionally wave, but so far none has ever stopped to listen or ask me questions. They are all in their own worlds, and I'm in mine.

bratsche

catmandu2
Oct-03-2012, 12:03pm
It's funny, I've found the exact same thing about playing Bach for people (not that I'm just a stellar classical mandolinist to begin wtih). I feel like it's only appreciated by musicians or people who recognize and are familiar with the piece.
My Violin/viola/cello/bass friends always enjoy hearing a Mandolin's take on the Bach sonatas or Partitas. They commonly express their jealousy of notes that "ring out" and the ability to play chords "all at once."

The rest of my friends, when they hear me play Bach just say "Go back to playing your really fast redneck music!" :))

I would chalk it up to the "effete" quality of the mandolin for solo "classical"...(or my effete general ability). But my experience playing cello and lute suites on guitar--a pretty good instrument with which to render--over 25 years: folks typically lose interest after only several bars into the prelude. Now, SOME times I was on, and the playing was good...yet the listeners still were unaffected (sometimes, they would ask after a few bars, "do you sing?")

Not everyone loves Bach :(

My feeling is that--as soon as the melody begins to wind past a couple of chords--it becomes "unrelatable," unfamiliar, or otherwise...maybe folks just immediately kind of turn to stone when confronted with "classical" music. I know this happens in jazz, for sure

greg_tsam
Oct-03-2012, 1:38pm
Crosspicking and double stop slides and some bluesy licks are always cheesy enough to impress.

Paul Kotapish
Oct-03-2012, 2:26pm
I've never been able to pull off "impressive" on demand--or perhaps ever--and I don't really have any solo or show pieces.

But if someone is curious about the mandolin I'm happy to play something that emphasizes how sweet melodies sound on the instrument--usually something where I can incorporate open drone strings and partial chords to round out the sound. French waltzes, Swedish polskas, O'Carolan tunes, certain Irish jigs, some old-time tunes, and a few marches all seem to work pretty well on an unaccompanied mandolin.

My old pal Paul Rangell told me that he didn't want to impress anyone with his music--he wanted to make them cry. This was just before he stepped on stage and proceeded to win a mandolin contest. I always thought that was a pretty good approach.

catmandu2
Oct-03-2012, 2:30pm
Dances, them! Right, a jig always does it

mandocrucian
Oct-03-2012, 3:25pm
Scrabble,

or....... "Tequila"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BodXwAYeTfM

Randi Gormley
Oct-04-2012, 9:17am
I'm wondering whether a non-musician finds Bach on mandolin boring because they expect something different to come out of the instrument? They expect Bach on a harpischord, but expect something different from a mandolin, which in so many minds is like "a little guitar" or a uke.
I know a bunch of ITM tunes, but I find that people's eyes glaze over if they're played single-line melody (which is pretty much how I do it) unless they're ITM fans. I can do my three two-finger chords and a couple of phrases from a jig or hornpipe I know really well, but I've pretty much given up expecting to impress anybody as a musician except those who find the ability to play any musical instrument astounding.

catmandu2
Oct-04-2012, 9:40am
I don't want to offend, but the mandolin isn't the most sonorous stringed instrument. Its range is rather limited, and it has a distinctly percussive attack. It's a little too brittle for me, usually, for the classical ouevre. In order to render baroque music on the lute, nearly twice the number of strings were added to the renaissance lute. Then theorbo, etc.

If one is playing primarily a melody line--without much accompaniment--it helps if the single note is interesting, rich, sonorous. These aren't the mandolin's strengths--a ukulele is often more sonorous

I love Bach, and I love mandolins...but I don't particularly enjoy Bach on a mandolin--from strictly a listening perspective

journeybear
Oct-04-2012, 9:53am
Mandolin! Only thing I can play to impress anyone. ;)

OK, that's my lame attempt at humor in response to the general question in the title. :whistling: But given the way the body of the OP is composed, which sets several conditions rather specifically, I dunno.

Situation:
When you bring it out of the case to show him what the mando is all about, and why it is a great instrument, what do you play?

My neighborhood, chiefly residential, oddly doesn't lend itself to neighboorly interactions of more than casual contact. People tend to leave other folks alone. And I usually bike or drive near my place, don't walk with my mandolin except across the street to and from my vehicle. I have been known to sit on my front porch and play from time to time, generally fooling around, working on songs, or practicing Italian tunes. So my closest neighbors, the ones most likely to be cast as the other player in this scenario, already know what the story is (and probably aren't the least bit curious ;) ). But OK, hypothetical situation ...

Something fast and flashy, I suppose, and also recognizable, like "Sailor's Hornpipe" or "Irish Washerwoman," maybe "Tarantella." If it's a pretty woman, well, something slower and romantic, like "Santa Lucia" or "Love Theme" from "The Godfather." At gigs, when I get introduced for the first time and have just a few seconds to wow them, it's almost always "Voodoo Chile - Slight Return," because it's cool, everyone knows it, I have a wah-wah and amp, but mostly because no one is expecting it.

Jack Roberts
Oct-04-2012, 11:06am
I stopped playing to try to impress. My fiddle teacher asked me to play something on mandolin so I played here and there from Bach's Cello Suites and a little Fisher's hornpipe, which he said was impressive, but my feeling is I am not a Jedi yet.

catmandu2, I understand your personal preference, but Mandolin can be made to sound interesting, rich and sonorous when playing Bach, although it is not a baroque sound. It does require taking full advantage the dynamic range of the instrument.

neil argonaut
Oct-04-2012, 12:49pm
In my neighborhood, that would mean I was about get robbed! :cool:

Yeah, that reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy coming out of a pub round the corner from mines as I returned home one night:
"what's that in the bag?"
"a bouzouki"
"what's that?"
I try briefly to explain, to which he replies all on one breath:
"let me see it, I'm not gonna steal it"
which didn't exactly fill me with confidence, so I beat a retreat while he proceded to throw stones at me!
One of the reasons I'm glad the mandolin is small enough to cycle with;

but I've pretty much given up expecting to impress anybody as a musician except those who find the ability to play any musical instrument astounding.

Don't worry, I find there's plenty of people like this; if I was just wanting to learn to impress, I'd have stopped long ago, as there's plenty who seem to react the same whether someone is barely competent but can pluck a vaguely recognisable tune they know, or whether someone is ridiculously good.

http://www.drbanjo.com/instructional/on-stage-fright-and-playing-under-pressure.php has a paragraph addressing the issue of how to react when asked this, about half way through what is a generally worth reading article. It's about banjo, but more or less applies the same.

I tend to play something ITM/scottish, or bluegrass stomp, or some ragtime, unless I've got some knowledge of what particularly the person might be into.

JeffD
Oct-04-2012, 1:17pm
Look, if you are trying to impress a non-musician neighbor, the tune selection criteria is different.

You don't need to be brilliant at it, just competant. The intended audience probably can't tell what is brilliant in your playing anyway.

You don't have to like the tune. Your neighbor complains behind your back about that whiney goober music anyway, so your favorite tune is not likely to be appreciated.

You don't want to play a popular favorite. Because your neighbor can probably tell if you played it right or wrong, and you are being compared to some pop artist who does it better.

You don't want to play something mandocentric, unless you learn all the favorites. Your neighbor won't stop at the Theme from the Godfather, he'll want the Theme from Corelli's Mandolin, and Never On Sunday, or if your neighbor is young, he'll want Rise, and Dance Tonight.

Again, you can't go wrong with classical. Go with Bach. Its impressive and dollars to donuts your neighbor will be impressed just because its classial, won't recall the tune in enough detail to be critical of your rendition, and be bored and not ask you for another tune. Always a plus.

JeffD
Oct-04-2012, 1:22pm
Just tell your neighbor you don't have time to play right now, you have to cash your check from the MacArthur foundation.

Laird
Oct-04-2012, 9:14pm
I don't play to impress--I'm not that good--but if someone wants to hear my mando, I'll play something like Leather Britches or Liberty, maybe Cripple Creek. Some fiddle tune taht I know without thinking about it.

catmandu2
Oct-04-2012, 9:41pm
Laird, you take a musical instrument out in front of someone--and they're impressed. You all needn't be modest. The moment a child sees an instrument--they are intrigued, compelled, inspired...many (most?) adults too. We are the stewards of mandolin music, aren't we? Recognize the power and energy and beauty of thought impelled by a musical instrument.

Sure, some don't appear affected by the presence of the beautiful machine which produces sound, and its lovely architecture--I seem to usually observe those passing by without a glance (maybe I'm sensitive to the ambivalence of my playing--but I'm at least curious as to why someone seems not to hear [although, as a social scientist I understand that many do not])

We all "impress"--whether we're aware of it or not--every moment...but I hesitate to get philosophical (scientific)

As operators of the instrument--we are necessarily made facilitors, vehicles of stimuli (it happens to be musical...and likely mandolin-ish). You don't have to be Jelly Roll Morton (I'm not), but you're responsible for giving voice to that thing (and ourselves). I always felt more comfortable carrying around a doublebass -- it was easier to "justify" what the hell I was doing with it ;) ... people aren't ambivalent to a doublebass

Realize what you're doing. Understand that you have the opportunity to make music (in that moment). Chop wood, cut bait...we have a musical instrument in our hands (we are musical instruments)

Jim Bevan
Oct-04-2012, 9:52pm
I'll defend Bach, not that he needs it. ;)

The one Bach piece that I have ready to go, the Dm Giga, well, I"m sure that I don't play it like he intended it to sound on the violin.
I play it like I would an Irish Trad tune, with the accents decided by the rhythmic structure, not by the melodic structure -- certainly not what my piano teacher taught me!
That piece has a real groove hidden in there, and when I'm on top of my game I can get it to sound somewhere between Enrique Coria and Whippin' Post.

The average listener wouldn't know it's Bach, and won't care if I can get 'em dancin'.

(I should add Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love to my short list, if my to-be-impressed audience knows and digs the tune. It's actually really easy to play the entire tune, solo and all.)

mandocrucian
Oct-04-2012, 9:57pm
Just tell your neighbor you don't have time to play right now, you have to cash your check from the MacArthur foundation.

"Wait, I've got 15 minutes to kill......don't you lust love "MacArthur Park" ? (Or how 'bout the complete version of "American Pie"?")

catmandu2
Oct-04-2012, 9:58pm
I play it like I would an Irish Trad tune, with the accents decided by the rhythmic structure, not by the melodic structure -- certainly not what my piano teacher taught me!
That piece has a real groove hidden in there, and when I'm on top of my game I can get it to sound somewhere between Enrique Coria and Whippin' Post.

The average listener wouldn't know it's Bach, and won't care if I can get 'em dancin'.

(I should add Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love to my short list, if my to-be-impressed audience knows and digs the tune. It's actually really easy to play the entire tune, solo and all.)

Sounds poetic and lovely just in the way you describe it, Jim

(And I think I feel what you're describing)

Bach is a vehicle of conversion

Dale Ludewig
Oct-04-2012, 10:56pm
I feel that being asked to play something is almost a request to impress. At least I don't want to sound lame and pathetic. First off, my experience is that the people that ask me to play something is because they have no idea what a mandolin is, or at least they think they don't or don't know if they've ever heard one before. I diddle around on the back deck and the neighbors like it, sort of. They really much prefer it if our whole band is here practicing our hillbilly music.

Our lovely little instrument is capable of so much, as has already been expressed. Bach? Some movie theme? A little Irish perhaps? Something melancholy? I'll usually play some little fiddle tune to pacify the request. Everybody's happy. But if I'm feeling up for it, there's always the opportunity to do Little Rock Getaway.

azflyman
Oct-05-2012, 1:42am
One song that works and is not hard either to learn or be proficient at is Amazing Grace. Everyone has at least heard it and is familiar with the tune.

journeybear
Oct-05-2012, 8:18am
"Wait, I've got 15 minutes to kill......don't you just love "MacArthur Park" ? (Or how 'bout the complete version of "American Pie"?")

I thought the idea was to impress, not make the (possibly annoying and smart-ass) inquisitive fellow run away filled with horror and regret. Well, maybe one does wish to be left alone in peace ... and that person would be impressed, all right! ("Now I know, I'll never ask again!")

BTW, the banter about Bach made me think ... It seems to me it is commonly accepted that some instruments are generally considered to be just fine as solo instruments - piano, guitar, accordion, cello, violin, lute, even banjo - while mandolin is not, including by some around here. I find this mystifying, especially here, where one would assume people would be more attuned to the instrument's capabilities, surely more so than the general public. My personal belief is that it is indeed a fine solo instrument, and one merely needs to find ways to realize its potential. The time-honored tradition of it being played to entertain passengers in a Venetian gondola is but one example. There are plenty other applications; one merely must approach it with an open mind and apply oneself.

AlanN
Oct-05-2012, 9:18am
One song that works and is not hard either to learn or be proficient at is Amazing Grace. Everyone has at least heard it and is familiar with the tune.

Butch Baldassari used this tune to:

1) Demonstrate the tremble
2) Determine a player's skill level

"Ok, Alan, play Amazing Grace....Next!"

Ryan H
Oct-05-2012, 9:25am
BTW, the banter about Bach made me think ... It seems to me it is commonly accepted that some instruments are generally considered to be just fine as solo instruments - piano, guitar, accordion, cello, violin, lute, even banjo - while mandolin is not, including by some around here. I find this mystifying, especially here, where one would assume people would be more attuned to the instrument's capabilities, surely more so than the general public. My personal belief is that it is indeed a fine solo instrument, and one merely needs to find ways to realize its potential. The time-honored tradition of it being played to entertain passengers in a Venetian gondola is but one example. There are plenty other applications; one merely must approach it with an open mind and apply oneself.

You just hit the meat of my main concern, right there. I think the mandolin certainly has the potential to be a fine solo instrument. But the stuff I usually play when I practice by myself is singe line melody irish, or old time tunes. In my humble opinion, when I play those things in public without any sort of guitar backing,it feels woefully inadequate, like something is missing. It makes me feel like a hamster alone on a basketball court.
Maybe I'm feeling this way because I'm simply ready to move on to more advanced mando playing, complete with double stops, string skipping and Bill Monroe-esqe turnarounds.
So, here's to unlocking the deep potential of the mandolin. :mandosmiley:

Pete Summers
Oct-05-2012, 9:52am
Not that I'm ever going to impress anyone with my mandolin playing, but if I were trying to, I'd probably pick Black & White Rag. The funky syncopation and running arpeggios in that tune please most people. Not an easy rag to play up to speed, though, but for those who can it will get a lot of attention.

Wolfmanbob
Oct-05-2012, 10:38am
P - k4

Markus
Oct-05-2012, 11:01am
You just hit the meat of my main concern, right there. I think the mandolin certainly has the potential to be a fine solo instrument.

All it takes is seeing Mike Compton play solo IMO, and you will realize one guy + mandolin can do just fine.

I never conceived it working, until I saw him play a small room a year and a half ago. While Mike's take on Evening Prayer Blues is a little much in the random encounter situation, one of what I consider his `silly blues tunes' [How You Want It Done?, etc] is a `full arrangement' done on solo instrument and must drop his neighbors jaws on the ground when they ask him OP's question.

I've also seen Tim O'Brien play a solo set, a half hour+ of which was him alone with a fiddle and his voice. I had no idea anyone could do that, either.

While you or I might not have the talent to pull it off so well, I doubt either of these guys just walked onstage without major hours honing this exact skill.

Like what I see at jams [people who practice solo parts but quite obviously spend very little time practicing rhythm] ... you won't be able to pull this off too well if all you practice and play are group-situation music. IMO, it very much can be done, but it's a skill that most people spend no time developing.

It's not like you can walk up to your average clarinet player in an orchestra and they'll have a solo piece ready for playing to a neighbor on a sidewalk either ... but your dixieland clarinet player might, as there's likely more opportunity for him to actually use that skill.

Due to our guitarist's regular breaking of strings, I've worked up a little blues groove with the bass player to fill that time - the years I've spent singing and playing solo for my my four year old daughter sure came in handy. Before she was born and I learned how through experience, I would have laughed if someone asked me to play solo. Now, I'm considering busking a farmer's market solo ...

catmandu2
Oct-05-2012, 12:55pm
One other thing--for those who "don't wish to impress"

Music is made to impress. We can sit in our rooms, and play for our own enjoyment...but this is (as Ryan vividly illustrates) like shooting baskets alone on a basketball court: the court--with two goals and 4700 sq ft--is made to accomodate much, much more

bobby bill
Oct-05-2012, 1:17pm
I think "impress" is being used in more than one way. I think the ones reluctant to "impress" (that includes me) see the word as meaning, "aren't you impressed by the amazing things I can do with this little ukulele-like instrument?" Others may be using it to mean "to create an impression," or even more gently, "to share an impression." Music is definitely for sharing, but to use it to impress someone (as in the first meaning, above), seems to cheapen it.

catmandu2
Oct-05-2012, 1:31pm
That's a good point bobby--and it made me think of all the folks whom exhibited their feeling of being UNimpressed hearing me play. Context is everything. Only pointing out that--music needn't be "amazing" to impress (convey feeling, emotion, meaning)...although environment often seems to make it so

We get all flooded with attachments to technique.

Ryan H
Oct-05-2012, 2:08pm
I think "impress" is being used in more than one way. I think the ones reluctant to "impress" (that includes me) see the word as meaning, "aren't you impressed by the amazing things I can do with this little ukulele-like instrument?" Others may be using it to mean "to create an impression," or even more gently, "to share an impression." Music is definitely for sharing, but to use it to impress someone (as in the first meaning, above), seems to cheapen it.

Well, I certainly wasn't using the word impress to mean I wanted to convey a perceived musical superiority over any one individual. I think my original post shows what context it's being used in.
I thought the original question was simple and innocent, in nature. It was just a carefully worded question to find out what people really like to play on the mandolin. Please don't read too much into the wording.

journeybear
Oct-05-2012, 2:51pm
I think the word was being used in just one way, the most obvious way, "to make an impression," as in, "You only get one chance to make a first impression." I don't see any reason to read more into it than that. In the imagined scenario, your neighbor notices your case, probably also that it is not a guitar or banjo or saxophone or other instantly recognizable or familiar (to him) shape and size case, and expresses curiosity. In this situation, then what would you play to make a good impression? Not that esoteric a question, really.

P - k4

Not that impressive - pretty common, methinks. The Ruy Lopez opening, now - that's impressive :grin:

catmandu2
Oct-05-2012, 2:52pm
del

catmandu2
Oct-05-2012, 2:53pm
music needn't be "amazing" to impress

Or, perhaps I'm wrong

k4UJkl6eaGQ

stevejay
Oct-05-2012, 3:02pm

catmandu2
Oct-05-2012, 3:06pm
... to use it to impress someone (as in the first meaning, above), seems to cheapen it.

And, it's been a long time ago...but I'm sure I'm not alone--thinking at one time or another I'd impress an attractive person with my playing. It's not all that far-fetched (in the evolutionary scheme of things). I mean, it is a transaction

Age is sobering...otherwise, I wouldn't be playing weird music that people hate on weird instruments, I guess, or other wiggy music

bobby bill
Oct-05-2012, 3:37pm
It was just a carefully worded question to find out what people really like to play on the mandolin. Please don't read too much into the wording.

My comments were not really directed at your original post. Rather, I was reading too much into some of the responses.

jaycat
Oct-05-2012, 3:43pm
. . . You don't have to be Jelly Roll Morton . . .

Now that's a relief!

Mandolin Mick
Oct-05-2012, 3:59pm
I think that there's nothing wrong with impressing somebody the way Ryan meant it in his original post. You might wind up converting someone to the mandolin or to Bluegrass or just answering somebody's curious question. That's why I gave a number of tunes that I play for different people in a previous post on this thread.

If somebody has a bad attitude or is on a head trip, which describes many musicians, that's a character problem that will be dealt with properly by somebody down the line. It happened to me when I was about 20 by a young lady and she put me in my place and knew how to do it. It only took one time and cured me for life! :cool:

Jack Roberts
Oct-05-2012, 5:20pm
The problem with playing to impress it can sound like playing to show off, and that gets boring for the listener. I don't want to be that guy.

greg_tsam
Oct-06-2012, 9:20am
The problem with playing to impress it can sound like playing to show off, and that gets boring for the listener. I don't want to be that guy.

Otherwise known as #######. Don't be a ######. ;)

Jim
Oct-06-2012, 1:48pm
If they seem to know a bit about music then Fishers Hornpipe or St Annes reel, if not then "Favorite things".

Jon Hall
Oct-07-2012, 8:47am
Play something the listener will recognize. If the person is a musician they will know how well you can play irregardless of what tune you play and if they aren't a musician they will be impressed by you playing something they recognize.

Bertram Henze
Oct-07-2012, 9:41am
And, it's been a long time ago...but I'm sure I'm not alone--thinking at one time or another I'd impress an attractive person with my playing. It's not all that far-fetched (in the evolutionary scheme of things). I mean, it is a transaction...

That is the intended effect.
And the effect achieved is:

Otherwise known as #######. Don't be a ######. ;)

Yes, 100% second. The only times I impressed people with playing was when I didn't even think of impressing anybody. There is something tragic in there: you miss out on your own moment of excellence. But I have learned that if I want to impress anybody, I'd better sit quietly in a corner and wait for the fit to pass.

catmandu2
Oct-07-2012, 9:56am
Ah but many a troubadour has succeeded

AnneFlies
Oct-07-2012, 10:19am
I don't really play well enough to impress anyone, but I found that people like anything I can play cleanly. Not necessarily fast, but clean.

My friends are very kind to me.

Jack Roberts
Oct-07-2012, 11:33am
... you miss out on your own moment of excellence....

Ah, yes, the ever elusive moment of excellence where others just happen to be there to observe. I have two fond memories both involving beautiful young ladies who happened to be there when I was minding my own business on the mandolin, but was perceived to be excellent at it. I blush to recall...

Dale Ludewig
Oct-07-2012, 11:59am
Yes, I agree with that. The times when I have probably played my best (or done my best at anything for that matter) is when I've lost all track of anyone watching. Totally consumed. Those are moments when you later wish you could have been an observer and recorded it. But it's not to be. And I certainly don't want to be a ######!

catmandu2
Oct-07-2012, 12:02pm
But what of courtly love? :(

Bertram Henze
Oct-07-2012, 12:42pm
But what of courtly love? :(

I can rather live without that nagging question: Does she love me or just my mandolin? :grin:

Mandolin Mick
Oct-08-2012, 5:35am
I'm getting to the age where its probably the mandolin ... ;)

Bertram Henze
Oct-08-2012, 5:57am
Playing for impressing is dangerous to your heart

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/213/4/7/you_crush_my_heart_by_denisgoncharov-d42d7va.jpg

roberto
Oct-08-2012, 8:41am
Just tell him the price.

Cheryl Watson
Oct-08-2012, 9:17am
I play what is doable for me on stage and, what has a lot of dynamics and a bit of show. You can hear plenty of mandolin players these days play that ubber fast notey (deetle-deetle-deetle) stuff but what always gets a lot of applause (for me) are pretty tunes with double stops or the charismatic toe-tapping bluesy Monroe-style. That, and I tend to not crash and burn with that style.

allenhopkins
Oct-08-2012, 11:29am
When I want to demonstrate the mandolin, I often play Red-Haired Boy.

When I want to impress someone, I usually play harmonica.

Caleb
Oct-08-2012, 12:15pm
I always play something of O'Carolan's, which is about all I know how to play anyway. It sounds enough like "classical" music to sound "hard" to play. I always tell them to picture Bach having an Irish cousin who lived in the country.

Once my family and I were camping and an older couple were camped next to us. The lady was playing a lap dulcimer, so I went over with my mandolin. She asked me to play, so I laid down "Hewlett." Turns out she'd been to Ireland once and said my playing "sounded just like the music there." Biggest compliment I've ever received.

Ethan Setiawan
Oct-08-2012, 4:04pm
Chris Thile tunes, Ode to a Butterfly, House of tom Bombadil, Song for a Young Queen, Raining at Sunset, Macedonia, and BOwl of bulla.

journeybear
Oct-08-2012, 5:30pm
I play what is doable for me on stage and, what has a lot of dynamics and a bit of show. You can hear plenty of mandolin players these days play that ubber fast notey (deetle-deetle-deetle) stuff but what always gets a lot of applause (for me) are pretty tunes with double stops or the charismatic toe-tapping bluesy Monroe-style. That, and I tend to not crash and burn with that style.

Exactly. Play something you will absolutely nail. It doesn't have to be flashy or splashy, but it ought to be at least a bit showy, and as others have said, recognizable. But nailing it is key. Somehow clunkers, clams, doinks, and oopsies stand out and overwhelm well-played notes by an order of magnitude or more.

rb3868
Oct-09-2012, 9:53pm
I've gotten fairly decent on Maple Leaf Rag, but the Maple Leaf reminds me of Canada, which reminds me of the NHL, which remonds me that there is no hockey, and I get sad

JeffD
Oct-09-2012, 11:13pm
Not that I'm ever going to impress anyone with my mandolin playing, but if I were trying to, I'd probably pick Black & White Rag. The funky syncopation and running arpeggios in that tune please most people. Not an easy rag to play up to speed, though, but for those who can it will get a lot of attention.

The Black and White Rag is a real hoot. I love that tune.

Timmando
Oct-12-2012, 12:38pm
When you try to impress you go get a lesson in karate, and when you finish your lesson and pay the instructor, you find that your wallet is empty, and when your wallet is empty you go to the atm machine to get money, and when you go to the atm machine to get money, someone sticks you up, and when someone sticks you up, you remember all the karate moves you just learned and you give him a chop or two, and when you give him a chop or two, you maim him for life, and since he is not dead he gets a lawyer, and the lawyer wins a case against you and your punishment is you have to push the thief around for the rest of his life in a wheelchair, and bath him every day....don't try to impress....