PDA

View Full Version : Varnish and Moisture

yankees1
Oct-01-2012, 6:48pm
Is there anything that can be done to remedy cloudiness on a varnished back ? No material (shirt) has been in contact with the back and I believe it is a moisture problem.

sunburst
Oct-01-2012, 7:09pm
Gentle heat sometimes does the trick for oil or spirit varnishes. If it is spirit varnish, alcohol will sometimes clear it up, but you'd better know how to French polish before you go near it with alcohol so you can restore the surface after the blush is gone

yankees1
Oct-02-2012, 8:27am
Any way to prevent this from happening or is there just moisture underneath the varnish ?

mirwa
Oct-03-2012, 4:08am
Any way to prevent this from happening or is there just moisture underneath the varnish ?

Prevention - Make sure you spray the instrument when its nice and dry, make sure the instrument is dry before painting, make sure theres no water in the air lines when spraying.

Repair -As john said, I would first do a test piece in a non conspicuos area with an alcohol wipe and see if the finish is affeceted, if its not then proceed with caution and wipe the area down, hopefully the alcohol will draw the moisture out and evaporate, there are products on the market called blush away and so forth, but I have never used these so cannot comment on there effectiveness.