PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Charlotte, NC

RKL
Sep-30-2012, 1:59pm
I didn't see an introduction thread so I'll say hello from here.

I'm Keith, a 54 year old professional photographer from Charlotte, NC. I just bought my first mandolin last week and am having a blast getting to know it. It is a great instrument, fun to learn and play. I bought a used Epiphone MM30 from Sam Ash. It came with an Allen tailpiece, a hard case, a leather strap, 2 sets of strings, a polishing cloth and a bunch of picks. It sounds pretty good to me and it was set up very nicely. I've already joined the newbie group and love the supportive people over there.

I have been playing and loving bluegrass music for 30 years. I play guitar and banjo and though I'm not in a band now, I have scrubbed off many a rendition of "foggy Mountain Breakdown" for the adoring fans over the years. Currently in addition to my mandolin, I own 2 banjos, a Gibson Mastertone and a Fender Leo Deluxe, as well as 2 Martin Guitars, an HD28V and a D18VS.

I'm still playing the D'Addario strings that came on it but there is a set of GHS in the case that I may try next. I play with a blue chip TD35 pick, which just happens to be what I use on my guitars...imagine that...

I'm sure I'll have many questions, so sorry in advance, and when I'm ready to upgrade mandolins, I'll be sure and get plenty of opinions.

Thanks for listening
Keith

pickloser
Sep-30-2012, 4:34pm
Welcome to the Cafe, Keith! Lots of us folks from NC on the forum. Congratulations on getting started on the mandolin. It is a GREAT instrument. I play other musical devices too, but there's somethin' about the mandolin that just does it for me. Watch out for MAS (mandolin acquisition syndrome). Once you get infected, the cure can cost a lot of $.

Rodney Riley
Sep-30-2012, 5:05pm
Welcome Kieth. It will be fun to see what you decide on for your next mando. :))

(Had 6, got 3 left) :)

Phil Goodson
Sep-30-2012, 6:30pm
Hi Keith,
Hello from just north of you. I also picked up the mando after years of strumming guitar and taking a brief journey with the banjo. The mandolin was somewhat intoxicating for me! I now play mandolin much more than I ever spent with the other instruments.
The Forum is a great resource for learning lots about the history, theory, and practical aspects of the mandolin. Don't hesitate to ask any question that you have.

When you're ready to absorb double stops on the mando, you'll want to read the description of double stops written by 'pickloser' above.

Have fun.

George R. Lane
Sep-30-2012, 6:38pm
Hello from another shooter (retired). Spent 30 years as newsphotographer and another convert to the mandolin. Enjoy your journey.