PDA

View Full Version : My new Weber Bitterroot is wonderful!

Sealions
Sep-29-2012, 11:41pm
Im new to mandolin (playing for 2 months) and new to the forum.
I decided to start with a mandolin that would invite me to play it every
time I would glance it's way; I settled on a Weber Bitterroot after hearing
'ktBriggs' play his on youtube, and subsequent research. I loved the tone, and
the fact that they were created in Montana and all finished by Bruce Weber
himself. Well, once I received it via Fedx Air, my mandolin did not disappoint!
It has a wonderful tone, stays in tune very well, is very playable.

After doing some research on the forums, and several conversations by phone and emails, I decided to purchase mine from Kyle Dunn at the Mandoshop: http://www.themandoshop.com/
Kyle is known for his great setup, which he customized to my requirements, and it plays great! In addition to providing a great setup that makes playing as easy as possible, even for a beginner without big callouses, Kyle was willing to give me a very reasonable and competitive price. He was very easy and comfortable to deal with, answering all of my questions, and even playing the 'contenders' and recommending the best sounding instrument to me. He accommodated my shipping requirements (via FedEx air) so I could get it here with minimal exposure to the heat of summer. It arrived safe and sound, and I play it every day and am rapidly improving. I even entered my first contest a couple of weeks ago.

Tim Pike
Sep-29-2012, 11:45pm
Wow! Great choice for a first mando! I don't think you will have any problem wanting to practise/play her everyday. Welcome to the Cafe!

Pete Jenner
Sep-30-2012, 6:50am
Love the Celtic knot on the headstock.

bmac
Sep-30-2012, 8:15am
Entered a contest after two months experience????? I would have trouble entering a contest after 10 years experience!

Tiderider
Sep-30-2012, 12:27pm
Congrats! Weber does certainly make wonderful instruments, I love mine.

SGraham
Oct-02-2012, 1:45pm
How did the contest go?

George R. Lane
Oct-03-2012, 10:02am
Sealions,
Welcome to the Weber family. Yes they are great instruments. Enjoy your journey and welcome to the Cafe.

Sealions
Oct-05-2012, 2:47am
Steve: Pretty well, thanks. I made some mistakes but was able to keep going & not get flustered.
I entered the contest so I could start getting experience playing in front of people
And to start to get to know the local old time/bluegrass community. I met some very
Nice people and look forward to more opportunities to play in jam sessions & contests.
I feel like the next contest won't be quite so nerve-wracking, now that I have the first one
Under my belt. ;-)

bmac
Oct-11-2012, 2:01pm
Re: the contest

That is probably the best way to go... get the nerves thing over with right up front.... I personally have never overcome my nerves at public performance.... Almost seem to turn to stone. But can play quite well by myself when no audience is around. I envy you.

Sealions
Oct-18-2012, 3:31am
Thanks Bart. But dont give up on yourself. It is so rewarding to play with others, although a contest can certainly be quite nerve-wracking. Have you tried small jam sessions? I have yet to do my first jam session, as I need to do a bit more work on standard bluegrass chord progressions in different keys, but I plan to get out to one as soon as I can. I know from my experiences with music from my youth that the only way to get more comfortable playing in front of and with others is to do a lot of it. It does get easier with time and experience.
-Claudia (Sealions)