PDA

View Full Version : Which one would you buy?

Wupeide
Sep-29-2012, 8:22pm
I am planning to buy a new mandolin and I have been going through the massive builders list on this site. Not done with the list yet. However, I have settled on a few possibilities.

1) Mann 2 point flat back
(For those of you who don't know his work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOs4kieppvs&feature=relmfu)
2) Eastman MD 515
3) The Loar LM700
4) A Weber Gallatin, If I can find one cheap somewhere

I want to be able to play a wide range of musical styles, including, someday bluegrass.

I also want to use an amp sometimes...

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Unfortunately, I am far away in China, so I can't try these instruments out first.

Regards,

Peter

OldGus
Sep-29-2012, 9:12pm
You might also want to consider a Loar LM220 or Kentucky KM900. The first KM900 I tried I really liked(probably the best of the three). The second one I tried alongside a LM220, I liked the LM220 better. It had a very even response and good tone. The Grover tuners work nicely as well. I think it came down to the quality of the top wood and the setup. Both the KM900's had an Englemann top, the first being much tighter grained. The craftsmanship and the wood, especially the wood, seem to vary on these models. Both the first KM900 and the LM220 were great for the price.

RBMB
Sep-29-2012, 10:38pm
I would buy the Weber. Weber makes fantastic instruments in the U.S. They last forever and are extremely high quality. Galatians give you great sound and good looks, and are as good as many other models with fancier appointments. You should be able to buy a used one at a fair price.

There are a fewer lower priced small builder to consider such as Morris and Newell that you should also consider. Others can give you names.

Mann has a reputation of being a great builder, but I doubt a flat back is not going to have as good a sound quality as a Gallatin.

mandobassman
Sep-30-2012, 10:36am
If it was me, I'd go with the Mann. I don't think the Loar or Eastman compare, tonally. I've played a couple of Gallatin's and, while I think they are very good, I still think the Mann sounds better than any of them. Plus, you have a fine mandolin made by one person instead of from a mass-produced shop.

Charles E.
Sep-30-2012, 9:21pm
The Mann for sure. Hand made and a great sound.

nickster60
Oct-01-2012, 7:10am
Weber great customer service. Nice mandolins a Gallatin A is real bargain they play great.

Shelagh Moore
Oct-01-2012, 7:17am
Mann has a reputation of being a great builder, but I doubt a flat back is not going to have as good a sound quality as a Gallatin.

Don't really understand this. A good flatback, or indeed a good flat top or induced arch top, won't necessarily have a worse sound quality than a carved top. It will have a different tone, and one that some players prefer for some styles.

Wupeide
Oct-04-2012, 2:20am
Thanks everyone.

Looks like Mann is winning at this point. Among several strong points, he has the advantage of being able to install a good pickup in the instrument during construction.

However, ordering one of his instruments would mean waiting for an additional 4 months... I am not sure if I can delay my gratification that long.