PDA

View Full Version : G-C-D progression

Jack Roberts
Feb-22-2004, 10:18pm
After being influenced by a couple of other threads I gradually convinced myself that I need to start adding the bad-boy four-finger D chord to my G-C-D-C bluegrass progression. #(I chop along with a banjo and a couple of guitars once a week, but I am really not an avid bluegrass player.)

I can play G with all four, and I'm learning to play D with all four fingers, and to go from D back to G without moving my pinky, but...

Should I be playing C with my index, middle and ring finger, or should I work on playing it with my middle, ring and pinky, so I can slide right up to the four finger D?

Jack

peterbc
Feb-22-2004, 11:53pm
Whatever is easiest I'd think. I play it with my index, middle, and ring finger and then switch to the four finger D.

Coy Wylie
Feb-23-2004, 1:04am
You can also play the four-finger-D in the first position without sliding up. It's a bit tricky at first but I like it better.

mandopete
Feb-25-2004, 12:51pm
So I'm curious, what formation do you use for the C (or IV) chord? #Wouldn't you just slide that form up for the D (or V) chord?

Willie Poole
Feb-28-2004, 11:21pm
Couldn`t do that Pete, he would have an open "E" string, at least he would if he is making the C (IV) chord the way I have made it for 50 years....Willie

pickinpox
Feb-29-2004, 7:21am
You could also barre the second fret with the index finger and use your third & fourth finger on the 4th & 5th fret, D string & A string respectively. Although this is a workable D chord, it won't bark like the traditonal chop formation.