PDA

View Full Version : need info on this mandolin

76 maverick
Sep-23-2012, 7:31pm
im looking for info on this mandolin. my mom says it was in her family for a long time and she thinks its 100+ years old but im not so sure. there aren't any markings on the head stock or inside the body that i can see. any info would be appreciated.

world_of_mandolins
Sep-25-2012, 10:16am
A picture of the back of the head COULD be helpful. Would like to have a closer examination on the tuners! First guess: Howard! But I still can be wrong! 100 + years? Seems to be possible, I have no doubt!

Jim Garber
Sep-25-2012, 4:31pm
I have seen ones like that manufactured or sold by Lyon & Healy. I believe that headstock was used for some American Conservatory and some unlabeled ones, prob sold thru retailers to put their own labels in them.

76 maverick
Sep-25-2012, 6:26pm
ok here are some pictures of the tuners. i really want to learn to play but im not sure what strings i should get what do you guys suggest?

Ron McMillan
Sep-25-2012, 11:35pm
ok here are some pictures of the tuners. i really want to learn to play but im not sure what strings i should get what do you guys suggest?

This question comes up often, and the advice I keep reading here is that for these old bowlbacks it is VERY important not to put heavy strings on them - so you are better to look for light gauge strings from any of the good string makers such as D'Addario or Martin.

Jim Garber
Sep-26-2012, 9:11am
I go for the ultra light strings to be safe. Least expensive are GHS A-240 (http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-a240.html).

world_of_mandolins
Sep-29-2012, 1:01pm

I am sorry! It didn't help..... I agree with Jim Garber!

Best