PDA

View Full Version : Monroe, flatt scruggs.

David Lewis
Sep-23-2012, 8:39am
Is there an accessible and complete discography of their recorded works? Each song... Smith has albums, but not the songs.

Scott Tichenor
Sep-23-2012, 9:34am
I was under the impression this book had a record of each Monroe recording and a list of the songs, but I haven't had it for some time and might not be recalling correctly: The Music of Bill Monroe (http://www.amazon.com/Music-Bill-Monroe-American-Life/dp/B0071UP59S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348410727) by Neil V. Rosenberg and Charles K. Wolfe. This is a fairly widely read book so I'd think someone with a copy on hand would be able to confirm it does have the list. This book is obviously just Monroe, but Flatt & Scruggs I think are in there during their tenure in the band.

f5loar
Sep-23-2012, 9:38am
The Bear family Monroe box set for those years would have complete details about those sessions in the booklets that come with them. Also you can find them in the big book by Rosenberg and Wolfe called "The Music of Bill Monroe" . There was also an older complete disography book published in the 70's by Rosenberg called "An Illustrated Discography of Bill Monroe & The bluegrasss boys." Monroe with Flatt&Scruggs as Bluegrass Boys cut 28 songs on Columbia from 9/16/1946 to 10/28/1947.

allenhopkins
Sep-25-2012, 12:22am
If you mean a discography of what Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs recorded together, Neil Rosenberg's Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys; An Illustrated Discography (Country Music Foundation Press, 1974) has complete coverage of their 1940's sessions. (Oops, seems I'm duplicating info already provided...)

I don't have the later Rosenberg and Wolfe book, but it certainly contains the same information, plus more from Monroe's later years, and is probably more readily available.

Per Rosenberg's book, all the Monroe/Flatt/Scruggs/Wise/Watts recordings were made in four sessions: Sept. 16, 1946; Sept. 17, 1946; Oct. 2, 1947; and Oct. 28, 1947. If you reference this Wiki Monroe discography, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Monroe_discography) you will find the songs recorded and released as singles with Columbia reference numbers from 20107 through 20612. There were two songs recorded and apparently unreleased:
Why Did You Wander, recorded 9/16/46
Shining Path, recorded 9/17/46

As accurate a summary as I can provide, spur of the moment. For more, either of the above-referenced books goes into much more detail.

David Lewis
Sep-29-2012, 8:44am
Thnk you so much to everyone. I did mean the monroe with flatt and Scruggs. All terrific resources! Thanks again.