PDA

View Full Version : Right hand technique

tomrodden
Sep-19-2012, 2:38pm
Hi everyone,
Just recently picked the mandolin back up a few months ago after a about a three year absence (I play/dabble in bluegrass and classical guitar/whistle and fiddle). Anyway, I am now addicted to playing mandolin during my free time and I'm interested in improving my picking technique. On guitar I usually "anchor" on the body but I am by no means dependant on resting my fingers there. I play, for the most part, without any tension in my wrist or arm and feel free to move my picking hand about as a tune may require. I have been noticing recently that a LOT of great sounding mandolin players hold their picks in kind of a "fist" grip. Is this the best way to do it on mandolin for some reason? Thanks!

-Tom-

Chip Booth
Sep-19-2012, 6:38pm
Mike Marshall worked with me on my pick grip, and he uses the fist grip you refer to. The best way I can explain it is that it allows maximum contact with the pick, keeping the pick solid without requiring the tension of a tight grip. This transfers more energy into the strings and creates rounder, warmer tone. It also affects the wrist position, and creates a straighter wrist, also removing tension. Having played guitar for 30 years with a different grip it has been quite a challenge to adjust to the new grip, but the improvement in tone is quite noticable. After two years of this grip I can't say that I more fluid yet, but I am almost back to where I started.

jazzman13
Sep-19-2012, 8:19pm
I think this is one of those grips that is widely acknowledged as being a 'good' grip and is commonly used. Mike Marshall, Chris Thile and Mike Compton to name a few all use this kind of grip (with slight variations), I believe.

I've used the grip both on guitar and mandolin since I started using a pick and I've never had too much of a problem with it.
Like anything new, it'll take some getting used to I imagine.

Having said all that, I'm sure you can find examples of great players who play with just about every type of pick grip you can possibly think of! Take George Benson, Wes Montgomery and Mike Moreno for example. With enough practise, you can make anything work I suppose. If you find you're getting great tone one way, stick with it and make it work for you.

mandodan1960
Sep-19-2012, 8:47pm
I really fought this grip for a long time (It just did not feel right) tried several others and came back to the loose fist "Mike Marshall" grip. Now I wish I had just fought way through that initial phase and stuck with it. I might be further along in my playing if I hadn't been so stubborn. Not the first time and probably not the last my ego gets in the way. Mandodan1960

August Watters
Sep-20-2012, 12:01pm
I have been noticing recently that a LOT of great sounding mandolin players hold their picks in kind of a "fist" grip. Is this the best way to do it on mandolin for some reason? Thanks!

I think the reason behind the technique is balance - when the pick is held loosely, with the fingers closed into a loose "fist," the balance of the hand supports tremolo and fast picking. With the fingers splayed out, the hand is out of balance.

JeffD
Sep-20-2012, 12:17pm
I think the reason behind the technique is balance - when the pick is held loosely, with the fingers closed into a loose "fist," the balance of the hand supports tremolo and fast picking. With the fingers splayed out, the hand is out of balance.

Hmmm. I was thinking the placement of the last three fingers is less important than the thumb and first finger. The most important advantage being that the pick is held close to the hand, not out at the end of the fingers, like some guitar folks do. Less moment arm, more control.

jackmalonis
Sep-20-2012, 12:54pm
Hmmm. I was thinking the placement of the last three fingers is less important than the thumb and first finger. The most important advantage being that the pick is held close to the hand, not out at the end of the fingers, like some guitar folks do. Less moment arm, more control.

So in this case there should be nothing wrong with extending your fingers when your strumming or chopping right?

Because for me, it feels most natural to pick single notes with a loosely closed fist, and strum with my fingers extended (partly because when strumming with a closed grip, my 2nd knuckles scrape against the strings).

Denny Gies
Sep-20-2012, 1:06pm
I think you should use the grip that works for you. No matter how I try I can't be David Grisman or Mike Compton or anyone else. Do what works for you.

JeffD
Sep-20-2012, 1:52pm
I think you should use the grip that works for you. No matter how I try I can't be David Grisman or Mike Compton or anyone else. Do what works for you.

Yes but...

No, I agree in general. But often people reach a plateau in their development and some piece of technique, perhaps the grip, or the left hand thumb position, something, is a big part of the reason. When you've gone as far as you can with the technique you have become comfortable with, its time to look around - and very often one hears, "I wish someone had told me that XX years ago. I could have been a contender".

JeffD
Sep-20-2012, 1:56pm
So in this case there should be nothing wrong with extending your fingers when your strumming or chopping right?.

I don't know about "nothing wrong", but I would say that, IMO, the way the thumb and first finger hold the pick is much more important to correct. I extend fingers for somethings, and curl them loosely for others. I mostly ignore them.

Phil Goodson
Sep-20-2012, 5:07pm
So in this case there should be nothing wrong with extending your fingers when your strumming or chopping right?....

When you hold your arm in your picking position and TOTALLY relax your hand and wrist, what does your hand look like? I suspect that your hand has all the fingers slightly curved. If so, why would you want to increase muscle effort or tension to extend or change the position of your fingers?

Leave the hand in the totally relaxed position and then hold the pick between the index finger and thumb and you're good to go.

tomrodden
Oct-01-2012, 8:40am
Wow everyone! Thanks for the helpful thoughts on the subject! I have recently relocated to Germany (unfortunately breaking a few strings while traveling!) but I'm finding a lot a interest over here as well. Nice to have common interests :)