PDA

View Full Version : GHS string sale at Elderly

joni24
Sep-19-2012, 11:18am
I received an email from Elderly that they are having a 15% off string sale on all GHS strings in stock until Oct 1. While I've done a bit of testing on various picks, I have not had much experience with different strings (currently using GHS A260 medium lights). Anyone have strong opinions on preferred strings? GHS vs others? Phosphor bronze vs silk & steel vs silk & bronze? Flatwound? Looking for feedback...

mandroid
Sep-19-2012, 1:10pm
Anyone have strong opinions on preferred strings? GHS vs others? Phosphor bronze vs silk & steel vs silk & bronze? Flatwound? Looking for feedback...

On this site... lots already archived, have a look.. [bottom right of this page]

Search is Top right..

Willie Poole
Sep-19-2012, 1:31pm
I have used most but not all brands of strings throughout my many years of playing mandolin and I am now using GHS A -270`s on all of my mandolins....I have used and liked the Silk and Bronze strings but find that they are not worth the difference in price compared to the A-270`s

I often wonder if there are really that many different manufactors of strings that we see advertised, by that I mean does each company actually make their own strings or do they all buy bulk quanities from a common maker and then turn that material into a finished product?....I doubt seriosly if any maker of strings would offer that information to the general public....

The best way to find out which brand of strings suit you is to try as many as you can and listen closely and you will find one that you like better than the others....It takes a long time to test all of the brands out there and listening to others input does help some but they aren`t playing the same mandolin as you are....Just remember that on different days your mandolin will sound different..I wouldn`t load up on a lot of one brand or gauge of strings just because they are on a special sale unless I knew that they were the brand that I felt was better than to the others....

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-19-2012, 1:35pm
I am a big fan of the GHS Silk and Bronze strings, which I can't get from my favorite string vendor Strings and Beyond. So I grabbed a bunch last night at the discounted price. To me, the Silk and Bronze gives me the phosphor bronze sound that like, with an added degree of warmth that I find missing in some of the standard PB strings such as J74s. I have not tried the A270s, but have ordered a few sets also, and am looking forward to trying them out.

One thing I think is great with GHS is that they use a 0.016 for A string instead of the usual 0.015 on similar sets as J74. The little extra tension really helps with the A pairs in my opinion.

joni24
Sep-19-2012, 11:18pm
Thanks for all the input! I did splurge today and place an order for a couple different gauges plus the Silk & Steel as well as the Silk & Bronze. It'll be fun over the next many months to start testing these out. Of course, the miserly side in me hates to change the old strings until I'm sure they're really dead, so this order may last me years... :)