PDA

View Full Version : jazzmando.com Ver. 2.0

Ted Eschliman
Jan-08-2005, 2:44pm
Okay, after Mark Lane locked me in a closet and made me stare at pink for six hours trying to find the "Rhino" pick, and the subsequent "Intervention" afterward, I finally decided it truly is time for a new look at jazzmando.com...
Not so much for content, but organization, and less "High School Yearbook" cosmetics. (Also ditching the obligatory AOL annoying "enhancement" ads..) I've contracted a designer and host at my own expense, but in setting this up, I have a window of opportunity to suggest things I want, and I thought I'd solicit additional feedback. (New site to launch in March.)
If you don't want to weigh in here, email me at ted@jazzmando.com with your thoughts. Particularly graphics, "vibe," and aspects of other sites to model after--that sort of thing would be helpful.

ShaneJ
Jan-08-2005, 5:27pm
If you're not married to the pink, I'd vote for a less noticeable background.

I know jazz is improv-oriented, but a little more linear organization to the topics, etc. would be helpful -- as would a search feature. Perhaps a catchy, but not too graphically intensive home page with link buttons, tabs, or headings for various topics.

There's my $0.02. Hope some of it is helpful. Good luck with the remodel! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

SternART
Jan-08-2005, 5:48pm
I'm just pleased that you have put together a resource like you have!!!
I look forward to crossing paths with you at some mandocentric event.
Thanks soooo much!
Arthur

Daniel Nestlerode
Jan-08-2005, 10:40pm
Ted,
My biggest complaint (and it pales in comparison to my admiration and gratitude for the content of your site) is that you use too many animated gifs. Keep it to one per page, please!
I have no problem with the color of the back ground as long as you can make it part of an over-all design look by using matching colors for text and accents. This would minimize the clashing effect it has on the eyes of your visitiors.
One more suggestion: less info per page. Spreading out the info will force you to categorize it, making your organization better. This will also minimize the need for your visitors to scroll up and down on the page, making it more likely that they will read the entire page. Finally, this will reduce your visitors' eye strain, as they attempt to absorb all of the information on that page.

Thanks for making a great site better!

Daniel

Ted Eschliman
Jan-09-2005, 7:35am
This is interesting; the two most common complaints about jazzmando in the last two years have been 1.) annoying pink, and 2.) too many animated gifs... (Also, the first two changes the designer insisted. Guess I need to get a clue...)
Always diluted midst a sea of compliments and encouragement, though, it seems the first replies echo this. (Resoundly!)
Thanks for the feedback, this is exactly the kind of affirmation I'm looking for!
Two promises: no pink, less (or no) ani GIFS. (These will all be Macromedia Flash based...)

phynie
Jan-09-2005, 10:20am
Just as long as you still have pictures of that sports fan with the F-9 and the coffe mug, I'll still be happy! He's my hero!!!!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Jim Garber
Jan-09-2005, 12:20pm
Two promises: no pink, less (or no) ani GIFS. (These will all be Macromedia Flash based...)
Just one small warning here. It is annoying for some users to have to download Flash in order to use your site. HTML is more efficient and any browser can read it.

I am not sure if your designer is recommending an all Flash sirte, but i would advise against it. Great for designers selling their talents but has little to do with having your info accessible. My 2 centavos. amigo.

Jim

glauber
Jan-09-2005, 12:46pm
Second the no flash recommendation. And i actually like the site as it is; chaos rules! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

John Rosett
Jan-09-2005, 1:25pm
ted-
you need to take a tip from the "big" music magazines. have a monthly mando giveaway contest.
just kidding... i think that it's awfully cool that jazzmando .com exists at all. for a guy like me, it's like finding shelter in the wilderness.
john

glauber
Jan-09-2005, 1:35pm
I also like going there to find wilderness in the shelter!

Great site. You have lots of great content, which is really the important part. Presentation is secondary. Try to think of a logical way to organize the content, and split it into different pages by content, instead of putting everything in one large home page.

johnwalser
Jan-09-2005, 7:46pm
Ted,
You could slways do something soothing like this:

http://home.inreach.com/johnw/jm.html

John

bmac
Jan-11-2005, 11:09am
In my view presentation is primary... If the busyness turns one off he may never explore what is really there. In my case I had to force myself to explore the sight. There is plenty of good content there, in my opinion, but the graphics were so overwhelming it took effort to explore the signt. In graphics, simplicity can be a virtue.

halfdeadhippie
Jan-11-2005, 4:18pm
Ted - always loved your enthusiasm - but I have to agree - the animated effects detract more than add

When you think about the type of people who will be apt to visit your site - most of us don't need or want flashy sparkly-ness

just my two cents

Tim

PS - I have no complaints about the pink.

luckylarue
Jan-11-2005, 4:50pm
I like the info on the mandos - especially the new Rigel - Q's. I'd like to buy a Turkish oud next before I can expand the collection. Thanks for the sight - Scott.

Dru Lee Parsec
Jan-12-2005, 7:12pm
If you're not married to the pink, I'd vote for a less noticeable background.

In my view presentation is primary... If the busyness turns one off he may never explore what is really there. In my case I had to force myself to explore the sight.

I agree with both of these comments. #The current web site is way to busy, complex, cluttered, and at times just plain painful (Those Colors!) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I'd like to see a very clean, easy to navigate site. #By "Clean" I mean easy on the eyes and uncluttered. #Ask yourself "What's the point of this site?" #"What's the point of this page?" and build each page to focus only on that point. #For example: #Let's make up an imaginary home page for the new JazzMando site that has a big picture of a blue mandolin. #Now let's ask ourself this: #Is the blue mandolin the point of this page? #Or is Jazz the point of this page? #Is there a better way to illustrate the idea of jazz music being played on a mandolin? #Maybe a picture of a mandolin player sitting in front of a jazz drum kit next to a standup bass player on a small, smokey stage might be a better opening photograph because that picture says "Jazz Mandolin" better than a picture of a blue mandolin.

Then focus on what the sections should be. #What is the content you're supplying? #It might be something like:

Lessons
Tabulature
Sound Files
Equipment
Links

The top level linking should be very generic. #As you "drill down" through the menus you then show the more detailed links. #I like left side menus for that kind of navigation.

Here's a mockup (http://brouelette.com/wsagetest/index.html) of a website I designed for a friend's store. #The left side menu may or may not work for you, #But I think a simple clean design looks better, is easier to navigate, and attracts more visitors.

But that's just my opinion and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif #You do whatever feels good to you and have fun with it. #You obviously have a great sense of humor and that comes through on your current web site. #If you want to go wild then go for it.

bjc
Jan-16-2005, 8:43pm
I'll just throw my dime in here and say that I agree the information could be better organized...I like Dru's suggestions for topics...but you know you could post pix of your dog, daughter, family, etc to keep it "local" feeling...perhaps a mando joke of the month or something...

bjc
Jan-16-2005, 8:43pm
I threw in a dime...I need some change...

WireBoy
Jan-19-2005, 11:47am
Hello ted,
# navigating jazzmando is always an adventure. #there is so much on a page, i'll find things i've never seen every time i visit. #so i like the discovery aspect. #however, if i want to zero in on one thing, it can be a chore finding how to get there. #

#Similar to how Windows XP gives you a choice on how to display icons in the window panes, you should have a choice of how to navigate, Jazzmando Classic (blue ct-100s over pink and animated GIFs galore!), call it Downtown; or the sleek new improved Jazzmando (menu tree orginaztion and Search wizard), call it Uptown.

#i love the personal stuff on there. your old keyboard days, the family pics, etc. #how bout a Mandohack mueseum with past and present mandos represented. #

#don't lose the quirky charm of the cluttered and GIF able old jazzmando, just make it a bit easier to navigate.