PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Buzz?

Ashville Picker
Feb-22-2004, 8:11pm
After almost three years of beginner's work, I am finally playing a bluegrass duet with a friend at his St. Patrick's Day party (he plays Irish stuff and then I join him for a few bluegrass songs). Last night we practiced for a few hours when an ugly buzz reared its head in my mandolin. I've never heard it before. My strings are not that old. What can it be and how can I stop it? Thanks for any advice.

mpeknox
Feb-23-2004, 1:30am
you might try checking out this article. (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html) good luck!

Ashville Picker
Feb-23-2004, 12:36pm
Wow! Thank you.

J Clark
Feb-23-2004, 1:02pm
If That article didin't help you fix the problem. I know that alot of times a buzz is created where the strings meet the tailpiece. I see some guys put leather behind the nut. I used to keep a chunk of Nerf football down by the tailpiece. Also make sure that your tuners are tightened if they are the kind that have screws in em, But not too tight! Good luck and have fun at the Party.
JC

mandopete
Feb-25-2004, 1:02pm
Thanks for the link, this is really great info!

I found that this can sometimes be the culprit . . . . .

Ashville Picker
Feb-25-2004, 3:41pm
J Clark-
That makes sense. When I held one hand on the strings between the bridge and tailpiece, it didn't buzz regardless of how hard I picked the string. Thanks.